Excessive wakeups

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PetterW, Mar 31, 2015.

1. PetterW

PetterW Junior Member

Recently Parallels (Win7 Enterprise guest) have started being very sluggish - every mouse click, every scroll action, every keyboard input goes through a layer of syrup. Usable but frustratingly so.
    As usual, the Parallels process in Yosemite sucks up about 50% CPU, without anything at all showing in Windows Task Manager. I found the following message in Console, though:
    2015-03-31 09:36:51,000 kernel[0]: process prl_vm_app[4783] caught causing excessive wakeups. Observed wakeups rate (per sec): 1091; Maximum permitted wakeups rate (per sec): 150; Observation period: 300 seconds; Task lifetime number of wakeups: 354888595
    That does sound not very optimal. Why is it there?

I also found a strange handle in Activity Monitor, represented more than one time for the Parallels Desktop process:
    /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/Default/Cookies
    Why should Parallels care about my Chrome cookies?

2. PetterW

PetterW Junior Member

Ok so it looks like the sudo nvram boot-args="debug=0x10" bug, which I had to trawl the forums to find. Seems strange that Parallels would have its users search for this (and failing, switching to VMWare) instead of pushing the info on them/us... Well, I'm glad to have found it.

3. PetterW

PetterW Junior Member

To think that I lived almost two weeks with this... Incredible that I didn't just dump Parallels after two days. Now it's back to its former glory again, it almost makes Windows usable, which is no small feat!