Window borders, backgrounds & titlebars (that should be black) rendering as Transparent - Coherence

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GregP2, Mar 28, 2015.

1. GregP2

GregP2 Bit poster

When I enable Coherence and try to run the Magic: The Gathering Online game Parallels no longer renders that game's custom window border, background (or pretty much any of the window elements that use the color black) properly. It's odd but it only seems to affect the color black used in those elements. In addition it's not just a rendering issue. It actually makes those elements transparent and any click in the area goes straight through to the underlying Mac OSX. For example: If I two-finger click in the now transparent titlebar area it will popup the Finder context menu and allow me to perform any operation from that menu.

I do not experience this same problem in the VMWare Fusion product when running in Fusion mode. However, I appreciate the speed and performance of the Parallels product and would prefer to use it.

I have attached a screenshot of the issue showing the Coherence and non-Coherence mode rendering. The problem persists if I enable Coherence and switch to Full-screen mode. I have to turn off Coherence to fix the rendering.

Screen Shot 2015-03-28 Coherence OFF.png Screen Shot 2015-03-28 Choerence ON.png
    OFF ON

2. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hello Greg,
    Please follow the steps suggested below:
    1. Shut down your Windows virtual machine.
    2. Open your virtual machine's Configuration -> General tab, and click Change next to the Configure for: option.
    3. You will now be able to switch to another profile. Choose Games only.
    4. Start your virtual machine to make sure the new settings were applied successfully and let us know how does it work.
    Please go through http://kb.parallels.com/122658 to know more about Virtual machine Profiles in Parallels Desktop 10.

3. GregP2

GregP2 Bit poster

Ram, I tried your suggestion. My original profile was setup for Games Only so I switched to the Productivity Profile first and tried that. It gave the same results. Then I switched back to the Games only profile and tried again and it still had the same rendering problem.

I'm running on a 2012 Mac Book Pro (non-retina).

4. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi,
    1. Please Updated Parallels Desktop to latest build as suggested at kb.parallels.com/111603 and manually install Parallels Tools as outlined at http://kb.parallels.com/112609
    2. If the issue still persisting go to > VM Configure > Hardware > Video > increase the video memory to 512 MB and disable Direct X > restart VM and check if the issue still persisting.

5. GregP2

GregP2 Bit poster

Hi Ram,
    I tried each of those options. Upgraded to build 28956 and installed the latest Parallels Tools. The video memory was already set to 512MB and disabling Direct X resulted in the exact same behavior. Elements of the screen that should have rendered in a solid black were instead rendered transparently and hovering my mouse over those areas reveals that the system acts as if there's nothing there. Mouse clicks still go through to the window below. Exiting Coherence allows everything to function and render properly again.

Any other suggestions?