Parallels 10 Dock Icon

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Gernot Leitgab, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Lee Woo

Lee Woo Bit poster

Thank you, i fixed

2. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi All,
    Glad to hear that your issue has been resolved !
    Feel free to reach us anytime for assistance, we will be happy to help you.
    Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to all :)

3. Jason_Chiang

Jason_Chiang Bit poster

The Translation is very confusing to Chinese people.
    Please change the translation for this option.
    Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> General -> Virtual Machine Dock Icons -> Choose : None
    ..This forum is so picky!! It won't accept any Chinese even if I just use less than 10 Chinese character!!

Please read image below for original content.

[​IMG]

4. Ivan Levchenko

Ivan Levchenko Bit poster

Hello :)

I followed these instructions, but I have this option greyed out:
    upload_2014-12-26_9-41-2.png

I do not have any VMs running.

5. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Ivan,
    Please plug in the power adapter/ charger to your Mac computer and then click on :
    Parallels Desktop -> Preferences -> General -> Virtual Machine Dock Icons -> Choose : None from the drop down menu and check.

6. Ivan Levchenko

Ivan Levchenko Bit poster

Thanks, this did the trick!
    But this is really the most arbitrary thing that does not work while on battery power. never could have even guessed.

7. Ed Stembridge

Ed Stembridge Junior Member

Why does the forum think my post is not written in English?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2015
  8. Ed Stembridge

Why was my comment about the duplicated Dock icons removed?

I came back to report that in addition to the menus being mixed up, you still actually have two applications running, even though only one icon is in the dock - you still have to Quit twice to get out of Parallels.

So while it's nice to not have two icons in the dock, the underlying issue of having two separate applications running didn't go away.

9. jtsr43

jtsr43 Bit poster

^^^ I agree.

It is very inconvenient to have to close out of the VM, wait for it to shut down, and then exit out of the control center. I wish you would just do away with the control center, or provide the option to disable it if there is only a single VM installed. It is completely useless with a single VM. Actually it is a waste of space even with multiple VMs because who really has that many VMs running at once that they need a "control center" to manage them.

10. Bruce Carillon

Bruce Carillon Member

This is terrific! Now I'd like a way to not have the Control Center come up.

11. Ota Mares

Ota Mares Bit poster

Hey, when selecting the "none" option i still have the window os icon in the dock which enables me to open up the start menu. Is this intended?

12. Chuột_Skater

Chuột_Skater Bit poster

13. Norman1

Norman1 Bit poster

Has anyone been able to get rid of the extra "Parallels Desktop" app in the dock? I have already turned off the per-VM icons using the general preferences, but this extra Parallels Desktop icon is really a usability problem: when using Command-Tab to switch tasks, it always inserts itself in the list in between guest-running windows and others, making for an inconsistent experience. In my mind, that extra dock icon serves no use and gets in the way frequently.

I am using Parallels in full screen mode, and just want to use Command-Tab to switch tasks across both host- and guest-running apps. Please... Parallels staff, please make this possible. Thank you.

(I think this is how the task switcher works in Modality mode, no extra icon, and Command-Tab unifies all tasks. But Modality prevents fullscreen... we need both together.)

14. Ed Stembridge

Nope, this is still broken. In addition to the non-standard task-switching behavior, you have to "quit" twice to exit the program. It's a very poor UX decision on || part.

15. JoshK1

JoshK1 Bit poster

I seem to be having the same issues as reported by Norman1, just a windows icon in the dock. I am trying to completely remove any and all parallels icons from the dock, the only icons I want to see in the dock are the currently running windows applications. How can this be done? I already have the ability to control the windows start bar and just about everything else if I have the parallels icon enabled in the menu bar. Seems like this should be the default way to manage parallel in coherence mode.

16. Hi @JoshK1, in order to add running windows applications icons in Dock please use the following steps:
    1. Shut your Windows virtual machine down
    2. Open the virtual machine configuration (using this article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/117287 )
    3. in the Configuration window please click on the "Options" -> "Applications" -> and then untick the option "Show Dock icons in Coherence only"
    4. After that you will be able to see the Windows applications in Dock (when you virtual machine in window mode)
    If you tick this option (Show Dock icons in Coherence only) you will be able to see the Windows apps icons in Dock only when your virtual machine is in Coherence mode.

Please check the issue and let us know if you have any additional questions.

17. saharmohamedali

saharmohamedali Bit poster

very goooooood

18. KalevH

KalevH Bit poster

So this is not a solution--at least for me. Previously (in Parallels 9), if I Cmd-Tabbed from my full-screened virtual Windows to a Mac application, I'd switch to OS X. Then if I hit Cmd-Tab again, I would go right back to my full-screen Windows VM. Which is what you'd expect.

Now, if we go with the defaults, hitting Cmd-Tab does apparently nothing, because Parallels "thinks" it's in the Control Centre and "switches" to the VM dock icon--so to the user, it like hitting Cmd-Tab did nothing, when you expect it to switch you to your next (Mac) application. So you have to hit Cmd-Tab twice before something happens, which is super-frustrating.

If you go into Preferences and turn off the VM dock icon, then hitting Cmd-Tab works as expected. EXCEPT! Once you're back in OS X, if you Cmd-Tab to Parallels now, you don't go back to my full-screen Windows environment (as you would totally expect)... it just brings up the bloody Control Center. You have to actually bring that up AND click on the small screen icon in it to go to full-screen Windows, which is ridiculous.

So in closing, please fix this! If I switch to Parallels from OS X, and Parallels is running a single full-screen VM, I should just get switched to that full-screen VM. If I'm in a full-screen VM, and Cmd-Tab out of it, I should actually get out of it, rather than having the first instances of Cmd-Tab "eaten" by Parallels "thinking" the Control Center is the active application when it's actually the VM that is.

19. Gauche

Gauche Bit poster

Just adding my voice to the chorus of complaints. The dual icon thing is terrible. I want to Cmd-Tab quickly from my VM to other Mac apps, but Parallels insists on jumping the line and inserting itself twice in the MRU application list.

Yes, I can disable the OS icon in my dock. But no this is not useful, because now when I attempt to switch back to my VM it instead shows the pointless and annoying (for me) Control Center. What I really want is to see only the OS icon in my dock.