Temporary fix for kernel 3.19

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by AndrewH1, Apr 10, 2015.

1. AndrewH1

AndrewH1 Junior Member

So, I thought I would quickly hack-up a fix for kernel 3.19. It is messy and not guaranteed to work in every case but it will do for me for now. I have created it for 10.2.0 since that is what I use.

To install:
    * Copy the parallels tools files somewhere
    * Enter the kmods directory and extract the prl_mods.tar.gz file
    * Move the .tar.gz somewhere safe
    * Unzip and apply my patch (patch -p1 < parallels-tools-3.19-patch.diff)
    * Compress the files again (tar -zcvf prl_mods.tar.gz *)
    * Drop down a directory and run the installed (sudo ./install)

It appears to be basically down to certain FS structs in the kernel becoming opaque in 3.19.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  2. Richard_Singer

Richard_Singer Bit poster

Thanks very much, the patch worked for me with NST (Fedora Core 20 based) and also openSUSE Tumbleweed.

One small correction. To compress the files again, the command is tar -zcvf prl_mods.tar.gz, which I'm sure you know but maybe someone else doesn't know.

3. AndrewH1

AndrewH1 Junior Member

Thanks, sorry. Typing too fast. I always make that typo, even in consoles :)
    I've edited the above

4. SteveG1

SteveG1 Bit poster

Thanks for the patch. I assume I am out of luck on xorg 1.17.1 modules as that seems to be the next error.

5. AndrewH1

AndrewH1 Junior Member

What OS were you were using?

6. AndrewH1

AndrewH1 Junior Member

As a side note, Parallels finally responded:

"Andrew, the issue you have reported is caused by the major changes in the last Linux kernel. Parallels Desktop Development Team is currently working to address it.
    While we do not have ETA for the fix, it has been prioritized appropriately and you can track the changes in the product at http://kb.parallels.com/122720
    We will create a new ticket should we have an update or more questions for you.
    Thanks for reporting this problem - through honest feedback, good or bad, we are able to provide better products and services to all members of the Parallels Community."

7. SteveG1

SteveG1 Bit poster

Ubuntu 15.04 Testing

8. AndrewH1

AndrewH1 Junior Member

unfortunately nothing can be done about Xorg 1.17 until parallels fixes it. It is a proprietary driver so can't be recompiled for the latest Xorg by the community. I tried using the 1.16 driver with 1.17 but it is not ABI compatible.
    Given that Ubuntu 15.04 is to be released in 9 days time I hope there will be an update soon.

9. SteveG1

SteveG1 Bit poster

Thanks for trying 1.16, I was thinking of trying the same.

10. EdwardD1

EdwardD1 Bit poster

Let's just hope they also add support for 3.20/4.0 at the same time; I don't like having to go back to VirtualBox as I actually like Parallels most of the time.

11. ShirazM

ShirazM Bit poster

thanks Andrew for the patch, but didn't seem to help me much with this issue. i'll not bother trying to hack this any further and would rather start using VMWare fusion.
    good bye parallels!

12. EdwardD1

EdwardD1 Bit poster

Yeah I've just had my refund confirmed. I've actually just gone back to VirtualBox. Updates are quicker and the performance isn't as bad as it once was.

If that doesn't work, I'll go to VMWare but never back to Parallels. The lack of feedback and support isn't worth the money.

13. LeonardoR

LeonardoR Bit poster

thanks you, i need make chmod +x * on installer directory and install setup on root directory

14. Gopal_Venkatesan

Gopal_Venkatesan Bit poster

Thanks @AndrewH1 for the patch. It works beautifully with FC21.

15. HongzeX

HongzeX Bit poster

Thank you mate. I will give it a try.;)

16. sashap1975

sashap1975 Bit poster

Thanks @@AndrewH1 for the patch. I have applied your patch, but I don't know how to create ISO file for parallel tools, one I have prepared doesn't mounted successful on UBUNTU.

17. RedMen

RedMen Bit poster

I'm trying to patch 'kmods' directory, but the terminal asks me 'file to patch'. I insert the '/tmp/kmods' directory, but is wrong: "/root/Desktop/tmp/kmods" is not a regular file... can't patch.
    which file i have to patch exactly?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  18. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi All,
    This issue has been addressed in the latest update of Parallels Desktop for Mac, build 10.2.1 (29006).
    Latest update Resolved an issue with installing Parallels Tools on Linux virtual machines with kernel 3.19.1
    Please refer the update summary at http://kb.parallels.com/122720

19. DexterM1

DexterM1 Bit poster

I cannot install parallel tools in Kali Linux 1.3, even though there appears to have been a fix in the last Parallels update.
    I am running parallell 10.2.1, however I am unable to install parallel tools using kernel 3.18. Is this a known problem?
    I receive the error message: "an error occured while downloading required components for PAralle Tools installation: - Kernel sources. Install these components and try again"
    I have updated everything with "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade". I'm not sure what else I can do.
    I have copied the tools file to /tmp, changed permissions (chmod -R 777), but whatever I do I still receive the same error message.
    I also saw in a forum that you can change a few lines of code in file: pvmnet.c (/kmods/prl_eth/pvmnet/pvmnet.c) - changing the part around line #96 to the following:
    dev = alloc_netdev(..., ..., NET_NAME_ENUM, pvmnet_setup):
    which basically removes the 'if linux_version>3.17'

Any further idea to try before I attempt a random patch that works for people using other (older) debian packages?