When the IE 11 Windows test environment expires, will it delete my purchased copy?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by alexm1, Mar 20, 2015.

1. alexm1

alexm1 Bit poster

Please help. I want to run Windows 8.1 in Parallels on my Mac. I have downloaded a trial version of Parallels, and today I bought (and believed I had downloaded) the £49 student version of Windows 8.1Pro from Microsoft, on my Mac. Windows only took a couple of seconds to download (so obviously it hasn't), but Microsoft emailed me a product key. Microsoft's techies were fairly useless when I rang and said I could not open the .exe file because I am on a Mac. They said I had to install it on a PC first, then burn it to a disc or USB device, before I could install on Parallels. I cannot burn it to disc or usb on my mac, because it won't open a .exe file.
    POSSIBLE SOLUTION? Parallels tech support people suggested today that I download the IE 11 version of Windows 8.1 on my Mac ( so I have) in order to open the .exe file that contains my bought copy of Windows 8.1. BUT when i open this free version, it warns me that it will expire after 90 days, and asked for my product key for Windows - but presumably when it expires it will destroy my paid-for copy of Windows with it? It warns that even commercially purchased versions of Windows will not work after 90 days. What do i do? Am i misunderstanding things? Anyone else had this issue? Thanks.

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Alexm1,
    We understand that you have installed Modern.IE Test Environment Windows 8.1 in Parallels Desktop 10, and it gave you a pop up that it will expire in 90 days. Yes, Modern IE is just a test environment and it has a validity of 90 days.

You also said that you have a full copy of Windows 8.1 and if you have a full version of Windows 8.1 and if it is installed as a Virtual Machine, it will never expire. And the Modern IE test environment will never destroy the full version of Windows.

Last edited: May 8, 2015