can't find .pvm file

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Ed_Reppert, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Ed_Reppert

Ed_Reppert Bit poster

So my Mac crashed big time. Some kind of software problem. Wiped the drive, reinstalled and updated OS X Yosemite, restored from backup. No Parallels. Reinstalled Parallels from the web, installed Windows 7. Tried to run a Windows app from an alias on the desktop. "Can't run Windows Explorer because can't find the VM." Looked at the knowledge base. It says "find the Windows 7.pvm file". Nope, can't find it. Then there was something about right-clicking on the Parallels icon in the dock and looking at the list of VMs. No Parallels icon in the dock (there's a Windows 7 parallels icon, but right clicking on it does not show a list of VMs).
    I did find two "Windows 7 applications" folders, one of which is apparently from the old installation, and one from the new. Trying to start a third party app from the old folder doesn't work. Dragging it to the new folder and trying to start it again doesn't work. "Can't find the VM". Very annoying.
    Help!

2. Maheesh@Parallels

Maheesh@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Ed,
    In order to access these Windows applications, you need to have the access to the Windows 7.pvm file in which you have installed the applications.
    Since you are unable to locate the Windows 7.pvm, please try to search for the file once in your Time Machine.
    If you are able to locate the .pvm file in the Time Machine or in any other External Drive, copy the .pvm file and paste it on the same location in your Mac Hard Disk and then start the Virtual Machine and check how it works.
    Also, your Virtual Machine will be backed up in the Time Machine only if you have set your Time Machine to backup your Virtual Machine.
    To restore the Virtual Machine from the Time Machine backup, please refer the article : http://kb.parallels.com/122623
    If you are not able to locate the .pvm file, the only option would be to create a new Windows Virtual Machine and re-install all the applications.
    To create a new Windows Virtual Machine, please follow the steps as given in the article : http://kb.parallels.com/4729

3. Ed_Reppert

Ed_Reppert Bit poster

I've already reinstalled Parallels, as I said upthread. I suspect I will be better off just reinstalling any windows software I need, rather than trying to screw with restoring .pvm files, overwriting the current one which, interestingly, Time Machine found in ~/Documents/Parallels, even though Spotlight couldn't find it anywhere a couple of hours ago. Which brings up the question of the two not-quite-identical Windows 7 Applications folders in ~/Applications (Parallels)/, one of which has my old windows apps in it, and the other of which does not. I presume I can delete the older folder without causing problems, yes?

There's also the question whether I will lose data from those applications by reinstalling, but I suppose I can live with that.

4. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Ed,
    You can re-install Windows, follow the steps suggested at, http://kb.parallels.com/4729 only issue is you will loose the files that you have saved with the Virtual Machine.

Last edited: May 8, 2015