Parallels Tools installation problem on Ubuntu 15.04

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by ToddL1, Mar 31, 2015.

1. ToddL1

ToddL1 Bit poster

First off, I think there is a high probability that this is the same problem the others have reported with newer kernels and/or newer versions of Xorg.

I recently tried upgrading my VM from Ubuntu 14.10 to Ubuntu 15.04 and I can't re-install Parallels Tools and hence the graphics resolution is horrible.

I have an error log file, but the "Upload a File" option wouldn't let me upload that one.

Gopal_Venkatesan likes this.
  2. xppeter

xppeter Bit poster

Yes, got the same error
    Error: could not build kernel modules
    Error: failed to install kernel modules

3. LeonidK1

LeonidK1 Bit poster

I have installed the latest update (v. 10.2.0) but the same problem does not disappear

4. AndrewH1

AndrewH1 Junior Member

are you using the 3.19.x kernel? In Fedora 20/21 the Parallels Tools is failing to compile against the 3.19 kernel. I've opened a support ticket with Parallels about this.

5. LeonidK1

LeonidK1 Bit poster

Yes, I have absolutely the same problem. Please, let us know if the issue resolved.

6. mbarnett

mbarnett Bit poster

I'd also like to see support for the Ubuntu 15.04 added.

7. ljbo23

ljbo23 Junior Member

I can confirm that too. After upgrading a Fedora 20 to kernel 3.19.x, the VM crashes at the end of the boot. Restarting at run level 3, then trying to install parallel tools, I get a compilation error

error: 'struct file' has no member named 'f_dentry'

I can't quite remember in which file, sorry.

8. AndrewH1

AndrewH1 Junior Member

yep, I've hit it with several distros now. A bit of a blocker on my day job and I'm having to settle with VirtualBox for now.
    Parallels are aware but their support is incredibly slow, it took 2 days to be escalated to second-level support and then no communication for 3 days. Kinda wishing I went with Fusion now :(

9. ljbo23

ljbo23 Junior Member

Google turns messages complaining about 3.19 breaking VMWare actually. This seems to be know since the end of last year as people tested 3.19 release candidates. I have Fusion actually, so I could try.

10. AndrewH1

AndrewH1 Junior Member

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty I quickly knocked-up a patch for Parallel's Tools in a new thread which should temporarily fix it.

11. Basv

Basv Bit poster

12. AndrewH1

AndrewH1 Junior Member

But with Ubuntu 15.04 you will need to downgrade Xorg to 1.16 too. Parallel's drivers for that are proprietary so not even my patch will fix the 1.17 in 15.04.
    Although VMWare Fusion is working great.

13. RodrigoS1

RodrigoS1 Bit poster

I am having the same problem with the upgrade to Ubuntu 15.04. Just writing here to urge Parallels folks to solve this issue ASAP please.

14. ChrisJ2

ChrisJ2 Bit poster

Yep I'd really like this issue resolved too please Parallels support!

15. KarlA1

KarlA1 Bit poster

Same problem here with Fedora 20 (3.19.3-100):

make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernels/3.19.3-100.fc20.x86_64'
    CC [M] /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c: In function 'prl_tg_write':
    /usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.c:806:32: error: 'struct file' has no member named 'f_dentry'
    const struct inode *ino = file->f_dentry->d_inode;
    ^
    make[3]: *** [/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg/prltg.o] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/lib/parallels-tools/kmods/prl_tg/Toolgate/Guest/Linux/prl_tg] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernels/3.19.3-100.fc20.x86_64'

16. ChristianR1

ChristianR1 Bit poster

I have the same problem after updating to Ubuntu 15.04.Could be nice if this issue is resolved pretty fast considering that it is not a free software.....

Attached Files:

17. PhilipF1

PhilipF1 Bit poster

I'm having that problem as well and would highly appreciate it to see that issue being resolved soon. I do need my Ubuntu VM for school and work, so as long as this isn't solved i'm stuck with Ubuntu 14.

18. Gopal_Venkatesan

Gopal_Venkatesan Bit poster

This seems like a routine with every new release since Parallels Tools checks for specific versions of Xorg and fails to install the custom modules. I feel a little disappointed upgrading from Parallels 8 to 9 to 10 now. I feel I should have gone with VMWare Fusion.

19. MatthewF1

MatthewF1 Bit poster

20. BrandonKnowles

BrandonKnowles Bit poster

Im stuck in the same boat after upgrading.
    Its not a big deal for me to build another VM on 14 so I'm not worried though i can see how this could be a pain.

Moving to VMware probably isn't the best idea unless you were already planning on it. You know what they say "The grass isn't always greener on the other side"
    The fact is the few tickets that I've opened have been incredibly complex and I've gotten rather astonishing responses from parallels tech. To be quite honest i didn't expect them to even know what the heck i was talking about with one ticket, but they did!
    I would actually expect from VMWare an automated reply, or MAYBE a glorified receptionist telling me to just restart the VM and try again...