Performance Tips for Windows 8.1/VS 2013 on iMac 5k

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by EricV1, Feb 11, 2015.

1. EricV1

EricV1 Bit poster

Good day everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has performance tips for Windows 8.1 on an iMac 5k. I just run Visual Studio 2013 in the virtual machine but the whole system becomes unresponsive frequently (we are talking gaps as short as 3 minutes, then hang for 10 seconds, repeat). I disabled Windows Updates, Anti Virus, just about anything I could find that isn't critical on Windows. The Mac has just email and iTunes running. I did the suggested performance tuning provided by Parallels support, but still, way too slow to be considered a performance equivalent of a computer made in the last 5 years.

I am running it at 2560x1440.
    The Virtual Machine gets two processors + 4GB of RAM

2. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Eric,
    To improve Windows Virtual Machine performance on your Mac, please follow the instructions given at http://kb.parallels.com/112091 and check how it goes.

3. Gauche

Gauche Bit poster

@EricV1: did you have any luck with this? I have tried everything in that article and performance still sux. I've noticed the Parallels process on my Mac consuming a LOT of CPU even when the guest O/S is near idle.

4. GoetzP

GoetzP Bit poster

try to increase video memory to 1024. I spent hours and days trying to get any decent perfromance out of parallels on my iMac 5k. I saw CPU usage spiking from a number of processes and couldn't identify any plausible reason. Increasing video memory made the difference. I don't have any issues on mac os and windows runs mostly fine. Office sometimes has still issues with large Word or PPT files. I found the steps recommended to fix this not acceptable. Parallels has to find a better way to manage this eventually...

5. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Last edited: May 8, 2015