Parallels won't open, and won't let me uninstall!

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by blt93932, Aug 6, 2007.

1. blt93932

blt93932 Bit poster

I recently had a few OS X updates to install, and after rebooting, parallels will no longer open. I then dug up some info on how to fix it, repairing the permissions and so on....but parallels crashes even during the uninstall! The uninstaller won't even start to run. It's build 4560. Please help, I have so much work on there, I can't afford to lose it. Thanks guys! :)

2. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

Have you tried just to install 4560 over the existing?

3. blt93932

blt93932 Bit poster

Yeppers, I've tried.

4. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

5. blt93932

blt93932 Bit poster

Still didn't work. Help me Parallels!

6. jackybe67

jackybe67 Pro

7. brkirch

brkirch Pro

The OS X updates seem to have messed up your OS X installation. In that case the best thing to do is to first run Apple Hardware Test to make sure there is nothing wrong with your computer hardware, then do a Mac OS X reinstall. After the reinstall is complete, install all of the latest OS X updates again, and then try to get Parallels working.

8. whytyger

whytyger Member

With all due respect to brkirch, there are several steps to take before reinstalling OSX. Random hardware and OS failures do occur on the Mac but they are extremely rare; that's why we love 'em as we do. Conversely, both the current and previous builds of Parallels are known to self-corrupt, resulting in unbootable VM's. So I suggest a more measured approach:

1) Do the obvious: shut down, and reboot OSX.

2) Run OSX through its paces: run a variety of Mac programs. Even download some small program from the net and make sure it installs and runs properly.

3) Boot from your OSX CD, and run DiskUtility to verify your disk integrity.

4) If all that works fine, you probably have a very corrupt Parallels installation. You'll then want to uninstall Parallels manually. If you search this forum, you'll find instructions on where all the files are located; failing that, start a topic here and ask.

5) Having successfully reached this point, make a copy of your virtual disk or disks (.hdd file (s))

Then, try reinstalling, using 5060. If that fails, then I suggest one of two things:

a) Call Apple Tech Support. Let them suggest various tests to verify your OSX installation.
    b) Call Parallels tech support and pay the $30.

If still no joy, then return to this topic, and post and update.

9. brkirch

brkirch Pro

I would restart (I did forget to mention to try that first), but if it is a hardware or OS failure it isn't "random" because it is quite common for such problems to become apparent after a OS update. A common symptom of a corrupted OS is the inability to launch applications that were working before. It does not appear to be a problem with the Parallels installation because not even the uninstaller will start. Running Disk Utility is not a bad idea, but it is still quite unlikely to be able to fix this problem.