Support for new Macbook with Core M

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by twynne, Mar 10, 2015.

1. twynne

twynne Hunter

Just wondered if anyone here might be in the know (or have a view)... will Parallels support the Core M processors in the new Macbook? And if so, what kind of performance might be expected? :)

Thanks

Tom

Stef1 likes this.
  2. BenjaminC1

BenjaminC1 Bit poster

I really wouldn't reccomend that machine for parallels to be honest, CPU and lack of RAM would not make this a ideal solution to be honest.

3. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi all,
    Our Engineering team is looking forward to making sure that Parallels Desktop runs on all shipping Macs, as we have always done. Rest assured that they will find a way.

4. BenjaminC1

BenjaminC1 Bit poster

Performance will have to take a hit though. No way around that.

5. twynne

twynne Hunter

CPU might be a concern, but memory should not. I'm running parallels beautifully today on an 11" MacBook air with 8gb... No issues.

Stef1 likes this.
  6. BenjaminC1

BenjaminC1 Bit poster

All depends on how many applications / tabs, etc you have open at once really.

7. Stef1

Stef1 Bit poster

What type of CPU is in your Macbook air, is it a 1.4, 1.6, 1.7 or 2.0 Ghz?

8. twynne

twynne Hunter

i7 1.7Ghz

9. Stef1

Stef1 Bit poster

Right, but what will it do with the Core M processors, will the 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 Ghz with Turbo Boost be fast enough? I want to order the new Macbook but have to be sure it will run Parallels cause I have to run some windows based programs for my job. Could I just install Parallels Desktop 10 and will it work at a normal speed? Parallels???

10. twynne

twynne Hunter

11. Stef1

Stef1 Bit poster

Thanks Twynne! There's seems to be some kind of bug with Parallels Desktop 10. Going for the Fusion untill Parallels deals with this.

12. twynne

twynne Hunter

No worries - by the way I didn't post this here to put down Parallels or to push Fusion... I've only licensed Parallels and I've been on the Parallels side of the fence for years now, but thought the discussion might be useful to others and also for Parallels themselves if there's an issue requiring resolution. I don't have my rMB yet, so haven't tested anything myself.

13. DeanC1

DeanC1 Bit poster

OK, Here is my two cents! I have a 2015 Macbook 512gb so it has the slightly faster processor. Parallels 10 does not seem to like the new bootcamp or M processor at all. I was able import my windows 7 bootcamp into parallels from my 11 inch Air and successfully migrate it to the new MackBook running under Parallesl. It runs pretty good and the screen even in Windows 7 is beautiful. Now, I also bootcamped my new Macbook and installed windows 8.1. I have been trying unsuccessfully to import the bootcamp partition or run it from the bootcamp partition in the new Macbook. Parallels does not see the new bootcamp partition at all. I am hoping for and update from parallels. Additionally, Winclone does not work to migrate your bootcamp partition to the new MAcBook either.

14. RamyaS

RamyaS Product Expert

Hello DeanC1,
    Please follow the steps as suggested in the knowledge base article http://kb.parallels.com/116235 and check with the issue.
    If the issue still persists, please generate a Problem Report Id using the Knowledge Base article http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058 and submit the Problem Report Id ,so that we can check it for you and help you better.

15. DeanC1

DeanC1 Bit poster

Thank you for the follow up. I have tried that angle, but when you get to the part where you use the drop down to selected the bootcamp partition it is not there.

16. AnthonyP1

AnthonyP1 Bit poster

Thanks DeanC1 for that post. You mention Parallels 10 doesn't like the M processor...can you elaborate? Was there significant UI lag or choppiness compared to your Air? Does it handle coherence well? Are your problems mostly related to setup of your Windows 8.1 VM? Thanks.
    AP1

17. Octo07

Octo07 Junior Member

I have a 2013 MacBook Air 8-256 1.3 GHz, and a 2015 MacBook 8-256 core-M 1.1 GHz. I use Parallels 9 on 10.10.3 on both.
    I have many Parallels disk image ready to go.

First test is with a Virtual Mac running 10.9
    Decent performance on MacBook, but for now, only shared network is working, Bridge network give me a 169... ip

Second test, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
    Coherence work. Installing Parallels Tools took 140% CPU on Windows 7
    Performance ok. Some task feel faster than on MBA 2013, but could be related to MB SSD.

I also have some Linux disk image too, I will tried them too but I guess it will be ok.

i do have some performance problem with the 2015 MacBook.
    - I use Screen Sharing a lot and there is a problem there, i dont know why. but it is slow (can't even close the VNC window)
    - Running Firefox on Netflix + Airplay, work but not for long,
    CPU get hot and FPS drop, then audio/video loose sync, then it stop. No problem on MBA
    - Spotlight process often take 100 % on CPU, MB get hot very fast.
    - Battery life definitely not on par with MBA.
    - Many weirds little problem

overall, I am impress by this Core-M CPU, I was expecting a lot less power than my MBA.
    but don't expect a 3 GHz i7 :) for many task my MBA 2013 feels faster than my MB 2015

18. DarienJim

DarienJim Junior Member

I am thinking of flipping my 2014 MBP15" to my son as I am getting tired of carrying it on business trips and picking up the new 12" MB 1.3 GHZ M processor. I need to run Parallels. Any final view if this machine can adequately run this? I need Parallels to run Windows 7 for VPN to office and Quicken.

If curious, picking the MP over the Air solely for the higher resolution screen.

Thanks in advance.

19. Octo07

Octo07 Junior Member

I just tried a youtube video on Parallels desktop 9 with Windows 7.
    Choppy. not acceptable. My 2013 MBA is a lot faster.
    I did not tried a VPN connection but for basic office work it should do.

Going from a MBP 15" to a MB 12" will be very difficult for power (i am not even talking about screen estate :)
    for mail, safari, itunes, core-M is more than enough, but for some task like screensharing, I do feel like i need a lot more power.

I have found a background task eating up the CPU: scanning all my BookMark.
    it was also there on my MBA but the impact was minimum.
    on MacBook it often take more than 100% cpu (out of 200% ) and it impact speed on everything else i do,
    still trying to find a way to stop those task to start.

20. paracore

paracore Bit poster

Hello, I'm a newbie to Mac/Parallels and I'm looking to buy the new Macbook (Core M) and would like to run Parallels with Win 10 on it ASAP. I'd be thrilled if anyone could do a review or even a YT video with this configuration. I'd be interested in how multitasking performs for office tasks, multi-tabbed browsing (incl. YT FHD flash), and a running antivirus (e.g. ESET). Battery is an afterthought, but would be interesting too, of course. (As a browser, I'd love to see Opera and FF. Chrome tends to be heavy, heavier than Opera despite Blink engine in both, in my experience.) Also, in full resolution, all of this, and with unnecessary services disabled of course (like some indexing etc.) In ESET, you may want to disable HIPS (not that necessary, plus there are better solution for this, plus it is resource intensive). Please do not use Kaspersky which has consistently proven a cpu hog on lower end systems despite claims to the opposite. Please extra attention to lags (in the milliseconds) in keyboard input while typing fast.
    I know I'm asking for a lot.... :)