Sound distortion issues with Desktop 10

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by IanG1, May 23, 2015.

1. IanG1

IanG1 Bit poster

Currently evaluating Desktop 10 on a new rMBP 2015 with 16GB RAM. Main use case is gaming on old games that are not supported by OS X.

Started with a Windows 8.1 VM but have also now tested a W10, W7 and Chrome OS. All exhibit the same issue with sound playback being distorted.

I have run through the limited trouble shooting steps under the support section, OS X works fine as do alternative virtualisation platforms.

Cannot raise a request direct with Parallels support as I have no key, I have 10 days remaining on my trial. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Ian

2. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi IanG1,
    1. Open your virtual machine's Configuration -> Hardware -> Sound-> Input ->Default and Output->Default
    2.If you use a USB audio device, make sure it is not attached to your virtual machine as a USB device:
    In Parallels Desktop menu select Devices -> External devices and look for the device in the drop-down list. If you see your device is there and it has a check-mark, it means the device is currently connected to your virtual machine. Click the device to disconnect it from the virtual machine.
    3. Make sure audio is properly configured in Windows virtual machine.
    Parallels Tools should be installed and updated. If Parallels tools are not installed or there is a red icon for Parallels Tools in the tool bar, please go to Parallels Desktop menu -> Virtual machine and select Install Parallels Tools
    Please feel free to reply for further assistance. We will be happy to help you.

3. IanG1

IanG1 Bit poster

Thanks for the response Paul, but as I said I have followed the limited trouble shooting steps provided under your support pages already.

4. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi IanG1,
    Please submit a Problem Report ID http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and provide us the ID number here to investigate further on this issue.

5. IanG1

IanG1 Bit poster

Hi Manoj,

Problem ID 64596936 generated.

Thanks for your help

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi IanG1,
    Please follow the instruction given below to fix it:
    1. Start Virtual Machine, go to Start > in the search box type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter (return).Expand Sound, video and game controller and in the drop down selected Parallels Audio Controller.right-click the adapter > Uninstalled the Parallels Audio controller.
    2. Restart Virtual Machine and re-installed Parallels Tools
    3. Shut down Windows virtual machine >> opened configurations >> Hardware >> Boot Order >> and pasted the command in Boot Flags box: devices.audio.clock=1
    Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

7. IanG1

IanG1 Bit poster

No joy I am afraid, issue still persists.

8. Hi @IanG1, the issue with the playback sound has been already transferred to Parallels Development Team, they are currently working on the resolution.
    But as a workaround please try the following steps:

1. Open Windows Registry (Start > Run > type regedit and hit Enter (return).

2. Switch driver mode to WaveCyclic navigating to the following key:

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class{4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    3. Choose the key which has ProviderName value Parallels.

Expand it and change the following key value to 0:

OverrideCaps\WAVERT_MODE = 0

(Please see screenshots for more information)

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      164.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      126.3 KB
      Views:
  9. IanG1

IanG1 Bit poster

Hi Maria,

I have applied that registry change, unfortunately now I have no sound at all. The device still exists and Windows reports no errors, but no sound is output.

Thanks
    Ian

10. @IanG1 please revert all registry settings back and check the issue.

11. IanG1

IanG1 Bit poster

I assume no real solution to this was found?

I could not revert the registry settings back as my trial had expired. I see no reason to expect any other result than the sound actually working, but still with the original issue of distortion.

I have reverted to bootcamp/virtualbox depending on performance requirements as an alternative which is a shame as I liked the integration with OS X.

12. JonathanR2

JonathanR2 Bit poster

2 1/2 years on: I experienced the same issue - some kind gentleman from Parallels spent a long time on the machine and fixed it.
    Unhappily it has just come back (probably as a result of some upgrade). The work-around kind of works - at least it attenuates the scratching sound.

13. MarianoE

MarianoE Bit poster

Hi,
    I am facing a similar problem on Mac OS X Catalina, with a Windows 10 virtual machine running Parallels 16. Actually I was running the same virtual machine on a slightly older Macbook and thought the audio problems were due to having less RAM. But now, on a brand new state of the art Macbook, I'm facing exactly the same problem. Audio is completely garbled.

I have followed the suggestions in this thread but to no avail. In the one about adapting the registry (!), there was no key under class 4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 with ProvideName Parallels, only Microsoft.

Please revert asap with a proper solution, because I develop audio software, so I really need the audio to work perfectly.

Thanks.

Mariano

14. AndrewS46

AndrewS46 Bit poster

Hi
    I am facing a very similar issue when running Parallels Windows 10 desktop on Mac OSX 11.6 Big Sur. Sound is working okay when Parallels is th active/selected Window. However as soon as I select anything else running on my Mac the sound coming from anything running in Parallels becomes distorted and garbled. I am using this app to run a Softphone application to make and receive calls whilst working from home. Unfortunately this app is only available for Windows and not OSX.

I have tried the solutions and workarounds provided above, but none of them work for me. I am currently on a Trial version, with only 10 days worth of use remaining. I am not willing to extend beyond the trial based on the issues experienced. However if someone is able to provide a resolution to this before the trial ends it wold be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

15. AndrewS46

AndrewS46 Bit poster

Hi @GampaA@Parallels, thank you for reaching out to me. Unfortunately when i try to follow the link I just get Permission Denied. Can you please advise?

16. Hello,
    Could you clarify th issue please?
    You're running the application on your VM side, then switch to your Mac, and at your VM sound becomes unstable. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

17. AndrewS46

AndrewS46 Bit poster

This is pretty much the case. I have an iMac set up with multiple external displays. On one of these I have the Parallels app running a Windows 10 desktop. (This is not running on full screen mode). On the Windows 10 desktop I have a Softphone app installed which enables me to make and receive phone calls using my work phone number. This works okay until I select anything outside of Parallels (which is every other app I need for work). At which point the sound distorts; both the speakers and the microphone, making it impossible to talk with my client as I work.

I also have the Softphone installed on Windows 10 laptop sitting on my desk next to my Mac. Installation of the app itself is the same on both machines. This works perfectly on my laptop. But with me having to take video and audio calls on my Mac, it becomes troublesome having them on two different machines. Hence why I am trying Parallels.

I have also tested this with videos on websites such as YouTube and bbc.co.uk. They play perfect so long as Parallels is the active window. As soon as I select anything outside of Parallels the sound distorts.

I need to be able to select and use apps on my main display in the Mac OS whilst answering calls on the Softphone app in Parallels on a separate display. if I cannot get this resolved before my Trial period ends I will have to consider something like Bootcamp. However I would prefer the flexibility that Parallels offers allowing me access to both Mac OS and Windows 10 at the same time.

18. McallenT@P

McallenT@P Parallels Team

Hello @AlejeandraL, Please refer to this KB article https://kb.parallels.com/115835 to reinstall Parallels tools and check. Thanks,

AlejandraL likes this.
  19. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello @AlejandraL ,
    we are happy to help you. Please reach us back for any further queries. Thanks, Parallels Team.