Sharing a VM on multiple Mac's

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Toonv1, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Toonv1

Toonv1 Bit poster

Hi all,

Is it possible to have one or more VM's stored on a USB drive and use it on multiple Mac's with Parallels.
    I've tried this on both my iMac and MacBook Pro, but on my MacBook Pro I got the message 'The virtual machine ID is invalid. To resolve the problem, remove the virtual machine from the list and add it again'. I think I will get this same message on my iMac as soon as I've added the VM on my MacBook and vice versa.
    Well, this makes sense considering the ID thing, but it is not very user-friendly. Is there a way to overcome this?
    The reason why I have the VM's on an external USB Drive is to be able to take that USB and my MacBook with me when I'm working on another location (outside my office).

2. InMnBob

InMnBob Bit poster

I would like to do this too. I have a macbook and a macbook pro and would like to be able to run windows from either using my external drive

3. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi All,
    Virtual Machines that runs from an external drive are supported.
    NOTE: Performance of such virtual machines depends of external storage characteristics (such as data throughput, etc.)
    Please review the type of drives that will show the best performance (in decreasing order) :
    • Flash Drive on Thunderbolt
    • Flash Drive on USB 3.0
    • Flash Drive on USB 2.0
    • Rotational Drive on Thunderbolt
    • Rotational Drive on USB 3.0
    • Rotational Drive on USB 2.0
    To proceed, transfer an existing virtual machine to appropriate location on the external volume.
    In order to transfer a Boot Camp partition, see http://kb.parallels.com/113658
    In case you want to run virtual machine stored on NTFS-formatted partition, you need to install NTFS driver for your Mac.
    For more information visit: How to use a virtual machine stored on NTFS-formatted partition
    Please feel free to reply for further assistance. We will be happy to help you.

4. InMnBob

InMnBob Bit poster

Can you provide the KB to move from Apple internal disk to external drive?

5. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi InMnBob,
    Please refer to this Knowledge Based article, http://kb.parallels.com/114118 in order to transfer Virtual Machine to an external Hard drive.

6. InMnBob

InMnBob Bit poster

Thanks that worked well. Now my next question. If I want to use my external drive on two computers do I have to install Parallels on both computers or can I install Parallels on my external drive and use that license

7. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi InMnBob,
    If you would like to use the Windows.pvm file on a different Mac, you will have to install Parallels Desktop on the other Macs, but to install Parallels Desktop on the other Macs, you will have to purchase separate licenses. Please refer to the licensing policy of Parallels Desktop, http://kb.parallels.com/112971

8. AshutoshH

AshutoshH Bit poster

Thanks, i do have 2 macbook pro with 2 Parallels LIcense. I can use / share same PVM file between 2 macbooks?

9. Hello,
    please check this blog article.
    and let us know if it's not that case.