USE VPN Connection in OSX

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JanR1, May 22, 2015.

1. JanR1

JanR1 Junior Member

Hey, I want to use a VPN connection which is established inside the VM also in my OSx environment. Reason is, I can only connect to the VPN server out of the VM (security reasons from IT department).

How to do that? Right now I am using shared network but it doesn't work.

Thanks.

2. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Jan,
    Please follow the steps given below, to use VPN connection on Windows Virtual Machine :
    1. Open Configuration Editor and create a new Network Adapter using "Add" button
    2. Set Bridged mode for one of them and Host-only for the other.
    Connect to VPN from Windows, using these steps :
    1. Open the Windows Control Panel > Network Connections.
    2. Click 'Create a new connection' link on the left-hand side of the window.
    3. Click Next, then choose 'Connect to the network at my workplace' from the list and click Next.
    4. On the Network Connection page of the wizard, choose the 'Virtual Private Network connection' and click Next.
    5. Enter a name for the new VPN connection in the 'Company Name' field and click Next.
    6. In the 'Public Network' window: If you choose 'Automatically dial this initial connection' as default option, the VPN connection will always be initiated even when the computer has not been connected to Internet yet. If you choose 'Do not dial the initial connection', Internet connection will be established before the new VPN connection is initiated. Choose one of these options and click Next.
    7. Enter the name or IP address of the VPN remote access server to connect to, and click Next.
    8. In the "Connection Availability" window you will see two options: 'My Use Only' ensures that Windows makes the new connection available only to the currently logged on user. 'Anyone's use' option makes the connection available to anyone. Choose one of the options and click Next.
    9. Click Finish. The new VPN connection information has been saved.
    On Mac side use Internet Sharing in System Preferences to share Host-guest adapter connection with Mac network interface.
    Note: Firewall should be disabled on Windows side.

3. JanR1

JanR1 Junior Member

Thanks Manoj, one more thing.

I have to use cisco anyconnect as VPN client within Windows. So, I just enable internet sharing on the MAC side and that's it?

Thanks

4. JanR1

JanR1 Junior Member

Also, in parallels under Hardware -> Network. What type do I have to select? Type: WiFi ? Or Default Adapter?

Under Internet sharing: Share your connection from: WiFi? To computers using?

Thanks mate

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi Jan,
    You can select WiFi under Hardware -> Network->WiFi and choose WiFi under Internet Sharing: Share your internet connection from : WiFi
    Note: Firewall should be disabled on Windows side.

6. JanR1

JanR1 Junior Member

Thanks Paul, I did this but it doesn't work.

What do I need to select under internet sharing -> To computer using? (See attached). Also, I am still using WiFi on the mac side, correct?

Thanks

Attached Files:

7. JanR1

JanR1 Junior Member

Anyone? Help please?

8. JanR1

JanR1 Junior Member

Really, no one can help?

9. @JanR1, did you try "Bridge mode"?

10. JanR1

JanR1 Junior Member

Hey, I followed the following kb article:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5557

1. I have set the VM to host only (Advanced configurations)
    2. Network is set to bridged (WIFI)
    3. Parallels network is visible under system preferences->networking: Parallels Host only

Still not working.

In the KB article, they describe to set the IP addresses, is this really needed. I used DHCP.

Maybe someone has an idea?

11. JanR1

JanR1 Junior Member

Anyone solved this with the new parallels version?

Thanks

12. Carl4

Carl4 Bit poster

This is the problem with so much of the Parallels documentation. Parallels Support posts, "Open the Configuration Editor," with no explanation of what that is. I can't find anything called a configuration editor and when I open Parallels help and search for configuration editor I get nothing useful. Why is it so hard to direct the user to what menu options to choose rather than assume they know what you call everything in the software package?