Windows 7 internet not working

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JimC1, May 19, 2015.

1. JimC1

JimC1 Junior Member

I am running Yosemite with Parallels desktop 10. This is a new iMac machine with 8 gigs memory. I am getting a yellow triangle in the windows network box. I have removed the network card adapter and restarted Windows and it installs a new driver. The internet connects for a bit then disconnects and I get the yellow triangle again. I have uninstalled Norton from the Mac side and restarted the computer. When windows come up it connects with the internet and within 5 mins the yellow triangle comes back. I have reinstalled parallels tools and get the same thing. I have no idea as to why Windows is not connecting. The mac side has internet with no problems. I sure hope some of you tech guys can help me.

2. Best Answer
    JFYI:
    Parallels Support Team fixed the issue using following steps:
    1. Start Windows virtual machine -> click on Start and type in the "Search" box "cmd" -> on the top of the list please right click on the "Command prompt" and choose run as administrator
    2. Type in CMD

ipconfig /flushdns
    and hit Enter
    3. click windows button ---> Control panel ---> under Network and Internet click View network status and tasks
    4. upper left click change adapter settings --> right click on your connection (Local area connection is if you're wired, Wireless Network Connection if wireless)
    5. click Properties -- >click to highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 ---> click Properties button --> click Use the following DNS server addresses and in the boxes type 208.67.222.222 as Preferred and 208.67.220.220 as Alternate --> click OK
    6. close network connections --> reboot your VM and try it.

Except for that you may check the solution here

Attached Files:

3. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

4. JimC1

JimC1 Junior Member

The hardware was set to "Share" and I changed it to ethernet and it seems to be working. I changed it back to Share and got the yellow triangle again. Changed it back to Ethernet and so far it is working. Not sure why it will not work in the Share setting.

5. Hey @JimC1 , Please try to reinstall Parallels Tools using the knowledge base article below:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/4841

If the issue still persists please perform the following steps:
    1. Create a snapshot (in Parallels Desktop menu bar go to Actions tab -> Take snapshot...)
    2. Start Windows virtual machine
    3. Click on Start and type in the "Search" box "cmd" -> on the top of the list please right click on the "Command prompt" and choose run as administrator
    4. In Command Prompt windows please execute the commands below:
    netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
    ipconfig /flushdns
    net stop dnscache
    net start dnscache

5. Check the issue and provide us with the results if it still persists.

6. JimC1

JimC1 Junior Member

Maria
    I uninstalled tools per the 4841 instructions and reinstalled the tools. Network 1 works as long as Ethernet is picked. As soon as I pick Share it blanks out again. I am not a computer whiz kid and trying to follow what you are saying about the snap shop and command prompts is Greek to me. I don't have a clue as to what you are asking me to do. I did get the command prompt up but I see nothing that asks to run as administrator. My sign on is the administrator. When I clicked the snap shot a window open and it would not allow me to click the start button. If you want a log or snapshot I think you will have to write instructions for a dummy. :)

7. @JimC1, thanks for your reply!
    Please try to perform the following step-by-step instructions:
    1. Start Windows virtual machine
    2. On the top Mac menu bar choose Actions -> in the appeared list please click "Take snapshot" and wait till the end of creating process.
    3. Once the snapshot has been created please (in Windows) click "Start" button -> in white Search box please type "cmd" without quotes.
    4. On the top of the list please right click on the "Command prompt" and choose run as administrator (for more information please see the screenshot in the attachment)
    5. After that please click "OK" (if Windows asked you to allow some Microsoft applications)
    6. So, now you have a black Command Prompt window
    7. Now please copy and paste the following command in the Command prompt window:

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

8. Hit Enter
    9. Do the same with the following commands:
    ipconfig /flushdns
    net stop dnscache
    net start dnscache

Just copy and paste it one by one and do not forget to hit Enter after every of it.

10. Once you paste and hit Enter after every command please restart your Windows virtual machine and check the issue.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Attached Files:

8. JimC1

JimC1 Junior Member

Maria, Thank you for the step by step instructions. I followed them to a T. After entering the last command I restarted the virtual machine. I was able to connect with the internet for about 1 min in the "Shared" setting then it again disconnected and I got the yellow triangle. I went back into settings and clicked on Eithernet and I have internet. My network 1 setting NIC type is grayed out "Intel(R)PRO/1000 MT the type is Ethernet.

I guess as long as the Eithernet is working and I have internet all is good. I just don't understand why "Share" is no longer working.

9. @JimC1, the reason of this issue is the disabled DHCP in the Parallels Desktop configuration.
    In order to enable it please perform the following steps:
    1. Start Parallels Desktop
    2. After that on the top Mac menu bar the "Parallels Desktop" tab will appear
    3. Click on the "Parallels Desktop" tab and choose -> Preferences
    4. After the that the "Preferences" window will appear
    5. In the "Preferences" window please go to the Advanced tab and choose "Change settings..." option near the "Network:" (on the top of list)
    6. Once you click on the "Change settings..." the Network settings window will open.
    7. Now please click on the "Enable IPv4 DHCP" and "Enable IPv6 DHCP" (just clicl on the free bow near this options)
    8. Then please click "Ok" and check the issue.

10. JimC1

JimC1 Junior Member

The settings had both "Enable IPv4 DHCP" and "Enable IPv6 DHCP" were checked in the Share and in the Host Only. I clicked on reset to default and it did not change anything except now in the hardware settings if gives a choice between Shared and Host Only in the Network 1 settings. Still get the yellow triangle in both Shared and Host only setting. If I put it in Eithernet I get internet connection. I do not have a firewall up as I uninstalled Norton. Never had this issue on my old iMac running Desktop 9 and Mavericks. Then I upgraded to Desktop 10 and was still running Mavericks on the old machine. I purchased the new iMac a few weeks ago and it came with Yosemite and migrated everything using eithernet connection between computers. The VM worked perfect until yesterday when I could not connect to the internet. I thought it may have been the firewall but appears it is something else. At least I do have internet on Windows 7 but it is not the same settings that I have used for years. For the life of me I don't know why it stopped working.

11. @JimC1, thanks for the info.
    It's really strange behavior of Windows network adapter.
    Could you try steps from the the article please: http://kb.parallels.com/en/7047 and check the issue.

Please provide us with the results.

12. JimC1

JimC1 Junior Member

In device manager I do not have a Parallels Network adapter. I took a screen shot of the device manager. The network is labeled #2 and not #1 could that be a problem?

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. @JimC1, we have sent you a personal message, please check it.

14. Best Answer
    JFYI:
    Parallels Support Team fixed the issue using following steps:
    1. Start Windows virtual machine -> click on Start and type in the "Search" box "cmd" -> on the top of the list please right click on the "Command prompt" and choose run as administrator
    2. Type in CMD

ipconfig /flushdns
    and hit Enter
    3. click windows button ---> Control panel ---> under Network and Internet click View network status and tasks
    4. upper left click change adapter settings --> right click on your connection (Local area connection is if you're wired, Wireless Network Connection if wireless)
    5. click Properties -- >click to highlight Internet Protocol Version 4 ---> click Properties button --> click Use the following DNS server addresses and in the boxes type 208.67.222.222 as Preferred and 208.67.220.220 as Alternate --> click OK
    6. close network connections --> reboot your VM and try it.

Except for that you may check the solution here

Attached Files:

15. JimC1

JimC1 Junior Member

I do thank the tech staff that fixed this. It has been working without a problem since the fix.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  16. NickyH

NickyH Bit poster

what is the fix, i have kinda the same problem, i got no internet on my windows side and internet om my mac side.
    what is the fix thats been send to JimC1?.

17. @NickyH please check steps from the "best answer" above
    The same steps worked for JimC1

18. NickyH

NickyH Bit poster

But didn't work for me.

19. @NickyH, and did you try some previous steps? for example, execute this commands in Command prompt:

ipconfig /flushdns
    net stop dnscache
    net start dnscache

20. NickyH

NickyH Bit poster

nope nothing works.

21. @NickyH do you have the same issue in Shared and Bridge mode?