Windows 10 Insider Preview start menu broken

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GalanB, Apr 30, 2015.

1. GalanB

GalanB Bit poster

Parallels Desktop has been working great for me on all the Windows 10 Technical Previews, but recently, starting I think with build 10061 and now for sure with build 10074, it seems that Parallels Tools is breaking the functionality of the Start Menu as well as Search / "Cortana" field. On a fresh install they work for awhile, but then after a couple Windows updates happen and Tools "reasserts" itself or perhaps re-installs, it breaks it. You can no longer use the bottom bar at all.

Any idea when build 10074 or beyond will be supported again? Or is there a workaround I could try? I tweaked a few config values pre-installation and thought maybe I had it, but then as I said, after awhile it broke it. (And I know they're also doing some A/B testing on the Start Menu, with 50% of the people getting a special version, so maybe that's conflicting with your Tools?)

Some registrations for extensions also appear *perhaps* to not be working, as some things can't launch, but I don't know yet if that is related to Parallels or Tools.

Thanks,
    Galan

2. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Galan, please follow the steps suggested below:
    1. Open your virtual machine configuration (See KB 117287).
    2. Go to Hardware > Video.
    3. Switch the "3D acceleration" option to "DirectX9"
    4. Start Windows VM and check if the issue still persisting, if the issue still persisting, please provide us screenshots for further investigation.

3. JohnS6

JohnS6 Bit poster

I am having the same issue even after the change suggested above (Macbook pro retina, 8gb ram assigned to parallels). There are no errors so I'm not sure a screenshot would help. The start menu works for about 30 sec. and then the whole screen flashes (running full screen) and then the start button/menu no longer functions when you click it.

4. AnanthK

AnanthK Bit poster

I am having the same problem. Windows explorer itself is crashing causing "Start Menu and Taskbar" to disappear.
    Workaround: Disabling "Nested Virtualization" seems keep my Explorer continue run. I know this will prevent me from developing Modern UI apps but, it is better than not having Windows running.

And to aid in debugging. There are 3 errors logged in Event Viewer, related to the crash when Virtualization is enabled. And the logs are:
    1. Faulting application name: sihost.exe, version: 10.0.10074.0, time stamp: 0x553ad226
      Faulting module name: modernexecserver.dll, version: 10.0.10074.0, time stamp: 0x553ad795
      Exception code: 0xc0000005
      Fault offset: 0x000000000003a97d
      Faulting process id: 0xe20
      Faulting application start time: 0x01d084ec1efe182a
      Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\sihost.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\modernexecserver.dll
      Report Id: c9f40e64-3fb8-4466-a330-2b2f7762b3dc
      Faulting package full name:
      Faulting package-relative application ID:
    2. Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.10074.0, time stamp: 0x553ad56f
      Faulting module name: twinui.appcore.dll, version: 10.0.10074.0, time stamp: 0x553ad2e8
      Exception code: 0xc0000409
      Fault offset: 0x0000000000076407
      Faulting process id: 0xf58
      Faulting application start time: 0x01d084ec1f7d8daf
      Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
      Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\twinui.appcore.dll
      Report Id: faadb2e2-d411-49b0-96b1-ff96ada86bdc
      Faulting package full name:
      Faulting package-relative application ID:
    3. Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x553ad077
      Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.10074.0, time stamp: 0x553ad776
      Exception code: 0xc000027b
      Fault offset: 0x0000000000304ebd
      Faulting process id: 0x1150
      Faulting application start time: 0x01d084ec214f0633
      Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Cortana_1.4.4.120_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\SearchUI.exe
      Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\Windows.UI.Xaml.dll
      Report Id: d8b7b2c8-1a37-4a02-acfe-0e8fd138ef6b
      Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Cortana_1.4.4.120_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
      Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI

Diego1 likes this.
  5. GalanB

GalanB Bit poster

Thanks, Ram. Since @JohnS6 was having the same issue even after changing 3D Acceleration to DirectX9, I decided to try what @AnanthK was suggesting first. It worked! :) I customized the settings and unchecked "Enable nested virtualization" before starting the install. The Start menu stayed functional. After a bit I did a reboot and saw Windows was updating some components. When it came back up the Desktop looked even better, with font sizes more appropriate for the Retina screen, and the Start menu is still fully functional, as well as the Search box. I won't be developing Modern UI apps, so hopefully this feature being disabled won't hit me in any other ways until Parallels has a resolution. Thanks everyone!

6. ChrisV2

ChrisV2 Bit poster

I wish I saw this on May 1. After updating to 10074 I wasted about a day trying to fix this issue using other methods I found online...

I can also confirm that AnanthK's fix works. Just uncheck "Enable nested virtualization" under "CPU & Memory" in your VM's Hardware config.

7. GalanB

GalanB Bit poster

@ChrisV2, I agree. I've probably lost 2-3 days in all. I finally last night got everything I wanted up (namely Visual Studio 2015 RC), on 10074, and it appeared to help by starting with 9926 first and allowing it to upgrade on the fast track, with nested virtualization turned off, and then while VS15 was installing it may have also helped with the pfs issue that I kept my laptop awake the whole time, not letting it fall asleep mid-install like it had before. I also had to go slow and easy on the Win10 upgrade ensuring that pfs was functional (once it was not, a reboot fixed it), and that the Parallels Tools were still working (took 1 re-install of it). IAE, it finally all works! :)

8. JohnathonS

JohnathonS Bit poster

This is unfortunate. Installed Windows 10 on the VM specifically to do Universal App development on my Retina MacBook Pro. Anyone have any other suggestions that doesn't require disabling nested virtualization?

9. GerritP1

GerritP1 Bit poster

Having the same problem here: I need Win 10 for App-Development, but the start menu breaks, when clicking into the search bar, and then it flickers. Afterwards nothing is working anymore, neither the start menu, nor any system windows, like Display Settings. Any suggestions on how to get this running?

10. GraemeC1

GraemeC1 Bit poster

Seeing the same issue. Turning off nested virtualisation after installing doesn't seem to help. I'll probably wait for a fix before I re-install again.

Edit: I just checked tonight and the problem does seem to have been fixed by turning off nested virtualization now. I think the last thing I did last night was re-install the paralells tools, maybe it was that, or maybe some other update has installed itself.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  11. GerritP1

GerritP1 Bit poster

Turning off nesting VMs also didn't help. As soon as I start using Cortana, everything breaks...

12. Chris White

Chris White Bit poster

I am also having this problem, disabling nested VMs has helped tremendously but not completely (and I did also switched to DirectX 9).

If there's anything I can do to assist in troubleshooting please let me know!

13. Diego1

Diego1 Bit poster

Same issue here.... I followed and disabled nested virtualization and works, but I need this one!!! Please Parallels fix this important issue.
    Thanks for the workaround!

14. CccA

CccA Junior Member

Thank you. I has the same errors in the event log. After wasting two days I was about to scrap Win10 and look for Win7 install as I need to work! I've had a currupted start menu on each build update. Hopefully this is the reason.
    Turning off nesting VM has kept it working all day, but it still went wrong today after macbook sleep overnight :-(

15. Diego1

Diego1 Bit poster

Yep, for me works with the workaround.. until the MacBook goes sleep, then crash the start menu.. Waiting for the update with the fix...

16. Chris White

Chris White Bit poster

Has anyone cross-posted this on Microsoft's forums? They may be as much of the problem here as Parallels.

17. SoonToBeFormerParallelsUser

SoonToBeFormerParallelsUser Junior Member

Glad I found this thread. Changing DirectX from 10 to 9 seems to be working for me. Would rather do that than disable nesting virtualization, since that is required for some Windows dev.

18. GraemeC1

GraemeC1 Bit poster

Just tried the new preview build (10122) with the latest Parallels (10.2.1). Seems to have the same issue. Crashes Cortana/Explorer almost immediately on boot up with Nested Virtualisation on, crashes after sleep with nested virtualisation off. There is at least now a nice error dialog popup stating that Cortana has crashed rather than the black screen. I'll continue to wait for a fix I guess ....

19. ebernet

ebernet Product Expert

I am using Parallels 10.2.1 (29006) and Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (10074). I have Direct X 10 on. I am running on a 2008 Mac Pro (so not retina). I have not seen an issue. I am running in a Window. I do see certain as a separate process in my Dock. I'd like to try and help you diagnose if I can.

20. AnthonyB2

AnthonyB2 Member

I get the same thing with 10130, Parallels 10.2.1. It started with 10074 where I had the start menu disappear on me with explorer.exe crashing, and the only way to switch between applications was to alt+tab. Since 10122 the same thing seems to happen but now with a nice 'Critical Error' message box, saying an error occurred in in the Shell Infrastructure Host, with an option to Sign Out to fix it (which doesn't fix it, the only fix is a restart).

I'm running a 15" 2012 MacBook Pro Retina.

I had a theory that it was the network in OS X disconnecting from the internet that caused the issue but I haven't been able to find a definitive way of forcing it to happen.

It might be worth mentioning that this is an upgraded Windows 10 insider - since two or three fast track versions pre 10074. I haven't tried a fresh install of 10130. Nested virtualization is off and DX10 or DX9 don't seem to have any change for me.

Edit: Judging by some comments on Twitter, I wonder if this could be a Win 10 preview bug

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015