Size of PVM is 240 GB but size within VM is < 80 GB

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DanD1, Feb 11, 2015.

1. DanD1

DanD1 Bit poster

My macbook is now out of space due to this bug :(
    Any ideas how to fix? I've tried reclaiming but claims "Windows 8.1 doesn't use any additional disk space."
    I've also not used any snapshots (and just double checked)
    Running Parallels 10

2. Mervin@Parallels

Mervin@Parallels Guest

Hi DanD1,
    Please take a backup of the virtual machine before following the steps below. Copy '.pvm' file to any folder or create a new folder "Back up" and copy it or to an external drive (Location of .pvm file: Documents > Parallels > Windows.pvm file or Users > Shared > Parallels > Windows.pvm file).
    Follow the steps suggested below:
    1. In Mac OS X, go to Applications > Utilities and launch Terminal
    2. Paste the command below into Terminal as is (do not hit Enter yet):
    prl_disk_tool merge --hdd
    3. Find your virtual machine in Finder. Right click on the .pvm file of your virtual machine and choose Show Package Contents
    4. Drag your WindowsXXX.hdd file into Terminal and drop it. In Terminal you will see something like this:
    prl_disk_tool merge --hdd /Users/Username/Documents/Parallels/Windows\ 7.pvm/Windows\ 7-0.hdd
    Note: there should be a space between --hdd and /Users/Username...
    5. Press Enter key to start merging Snapshots. Once this is done try to compress virtual hard disk again. ( VM config http://kb.parallels.com/117287 > Hardware > Hard disk 1 > Compress)

Also please delete parallels.log files manually.
    1. From the Parallels Desktop menu, click on Parallels Desktop menu bar or click on Parallels Desktop icon (on top right menu bar) -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Troubleshooting: "Uncheck" Use Detailed log messages.
    2. Go to Documents > Parallels > Windows.pvm file or Users > Shared > Parallels > Windows.pvm file > Right click (Ctrl+click) on Windows.pvm file > Show package contents > check the size of parallels.log file. If the size is in Giga Bytes (GB), delete the parallels.log file and check how it goes.

3. DanD1

DanD1 Bit poster

I get the following error...

Class DeallocHook is implemented in both /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Frameworks/ParallelsVirtualizationSDK.framework/Versions/5/libprl_sdk.5.dylib and /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_disk_tool. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

4. WPS_Purchsaing

WPS_Purchsaing Bit poster

DanD1, Have you heard anything from Parallels or been able to resolve?

I have the same issue (numbers are different) but the message and result are the same.

5. AndreC1

AndreC1 Bit poster

This may be caused by your mac rebooting or parallels stopping before a hard disk task has been completed. In this case if your find your .pvm and show contents if you see a copy of the hdd then either copy out of the package or delete and then retry the Hard Disk change in Parallels.

This worked for me - was a little worried prior to stumbling upon this solution