MBP 15 retina - visual studio 2013 - Win7 - graphic problem

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Lorenzo Malaguti, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Lorenzo Malaguti

Lorenzo Malaguti Bit poster

Hi everyone, i have a "strange" problem,
    i have installed the latest paralles, win7 and vs2013 and it looks great for text size, button, everything.
    the problem is when i try to create, resize, move button, windows, frame on the designer.
    Size is "almost" the double of the standard monitor (and by almost i mean that if i check on the win7 properties i see that is scaled 199%, not 200%) and if i edit the form under parallels i see a complete disaster (position/size) on a different computer running win7 natively on a non retina display.
    I have choose the best for retina settings, if i choose "more space" the text and everything became too small to be useful for programming intensively, and using "scale" well... i really don't like it.
    Is there a fix for this?

2. Joseph Hanna

Joseph Hanna Bit poster

I have the same problem but on Windows 8.1. The designers in Visual Studio are unusable.

3. Dishant@Parallels

Dishant@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi,
    I understand that you would like to adjust scaling in Windows virtual machine, fonts size in Windows.
    This issue occurred if some Windows applications are not adapted for HiDPi resolutions
    First of all let me say that all Windows applications are not designed for Retina displays as Microsoft does not support it at all. With Parallels Desktop it is possible but please consider that this is only our customization through virtual drivers.
    So the issue is not with Parallels Desktop, it is how Windows shows an application on the virtualized PC desktop.
    The most optimal settings to get proper views re:
    1) Mac's system preferences -> Displays. In resolution you need to change it from "Best for Retina" to Scaled (one item left from Best of Retina
    2) Parallels Virtual Machine Configuration ( http://kb.parallels.com/en/117287 ) -> Hardware -> Video -> More space or Un-tick Retina support.
    3) Set scaling as 100% (default) in Guest OS: - Go to Start menu > Control Panel > Display - Set size of text and icons size as 100% (default) 2. Restart Windows virtual machine.
    After these setting everything should look fine.
    For more information please refer this article http://kb.parallels.com/en/119926

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015