how to enable parent paths

Discussion in 'Account and Subscription Management' started by Meghan, May 28, 2015.

1. Meghan

Meghan Bit poster

Hello friends,
    I have moved a classic ASP site from shared hosting IIS 6 site to shared IIS 8 host that uses Plesk, so the only control of IIS is via a few settings in Plesk, or web.config. I have set Plesk to enable ASP support and ASP.NET support. But after that here is the problem shows up, i can't get enable Parent Paths to work. I also cannot get detailed errors displayed. My initial web.config probably has stuff only relevant to ASP.NET, but I have been trying all sorts of suggestions from forums. So, i would love to simplify. I just want classic ASP with ParentPaths and (temporarily) detailed error reporting.

For reference, I used Hostforlife.eu hosting service. I have asked to them about my problem and their tech Support suggested a simpler web.config that allowed me to see detailed errors. They do not know how to enable Parent Paths, but those are not always a good idea and it was easy enough to manually change /../../filename to a full path. Here is the web.config that allows me to see detailed errors during debugging:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <configuration>
    <system.webServer>
    <httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" />
    </system.webServer>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off" />
    <compilation debug="true" />
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

And this was the version that did not work:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <configuration>
    <location path="mydomain.com" overrideMode="Allow">
    <system.webServer>
    <httpErrors errorMode="Detailed" existingResponse="PassThrough" />
    <asp enableParentPaths="true" appAllowDebugging="true" scriptErrorSentToBrowser="true">
    <session keepSessionIdSecure="false" />
    </asp>
    </system.webServer>
    <system.web>
    <customErrors mode="Off" />
    <compilation debug="true" />
    <authentication mode="None" />
    <trust level="Full" />
    </system.web>
    </location>
    </configuration>

So, are you have a suggestion how to enable ParentPaths and (temporarily) detailed error reporting in my new IIS 8 and web.config?
    Please help me. Thanks in advance.

2. adan12

adan12 Bit poster

Although it is very difficult chapter and not so easy to understand and learn all these basics, but on this page, it is delivered in a way that if we give a little bit attention to read this, we can get what to learn.

Short terry Cloth Robe!