Windows Activation Issue

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Timmy1, May 29, 2015.

1. Timmy1

Timmy1 Junior Member

Hi,

I set up a boot camp installation of windows 8.1 enterprise and I'm using parallels as well.

I activated the windows 8.1 on bootcamp, and when i go on parallels it asks to activate again. I activate it again but when i go back to the bootcamp it again asks me to activate.

Anyone else came across this issue or know a solution?

i called windows support many times, they have no idea. from their managers in india to the managers in canada.

2. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Timmy1,
    It may be because Windows operating system detects the hardware change and presumes it to be installed on a different machine. Virtual hardware is different from the real hardware (where Boot Camp is installed) and can cause such confusion for software.
    Please follow the steps suggested at http://kb.parallels.com/9703 for Activating Windows Virtual Machine installed from Boot Camp.

3. Timmy1

Timmy1 Junior Member

Thank you Ram,

I have a question, it seems those instructions were based on a scenario where the the bootcamp was unactivated, my situation is where when i run bootcamp on parallels it asks me for activation.

Also it seems those instructions were on Windows 7 would this work with windows 8.1?

4. Timmy1

Timmy1 Junior Member

also i have reactivated time and time again. but the only difference is that i'd be using the same activation key, the other times i used a different one for the bootcamp activation and a different one when i boot it up on parallels.

would using the same activation key work?

5. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Timmy1, the instructions will work with Windows 8.1 and please try to use the same activation key and check if the issue still persisting.

6. Timmy1

Timmy1 Junior Member

sorry Ram, I'm a bit confused.

Do i have to use the same activation key? as in this? because my product keys are the same and i still have this issue.

[​IMG]

7. Timmy1

Timmy1 Junior Member

also if it is the activation key, I can't activate windows online, so i have to use the SLUI (which brings up the product key entry)

I'm using a MSDN subscription Windows 8.1 Enterprise. so when i used a key finder it gives me the product key of BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB-BBBBB

so im not able to find out the correct product key. and the one on the MSDN subscription doesn't work anymore. they gave me a new product key last time activated it on the bootcamp side

Last edited: May 29, 2015