Unique Hardware Serial Number

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Michael3, May 29, 2015.

1. Michael3

Michael3 Bit poster

Hello,
    The hardware serial number is the same on both the host and guest VM. I need to be able to change this in order to have a totally unique OSX guest VM environment. Is it possible to change this? I know its possible in VMWare Fusion and would hate to have to switch to it because of this issue as Parallels is a superior product. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi Michael,
    Please let us know whether you wish to run Virtual Machine independently with a difference Mac address on Parallels Desktop.

3. Michael3

Michael3 Bit poster

Hi Manoj,
    The MAC address is unique and so is the GUID so they are not the problems. What are the problems are the System Serial Number and the Volume UUID which are the same on both the host and guest VM. Anyway to change these? I believe these are related to the SymBios configuration and are boot related.
    Thanks

4. Michael3

Michael3 Bit poster

I had to switch to Fusion because of this problem. I really hope you guys add this in the future. You have an advantage in that Coherence works with OSX guest and Fusions Unity does not.

5. MdH1

MdH1 Bit poster

Please see this note-"You have an advantage in that Coherence works with OSX guest and Fusions Unity does not"

6. JoelS1

JoelS1 Junior Member

Also tendering our interest here in the unique serial / hardware / system IDs. We utilise MunkiReport (2, PHP edition) as our reporting base and we would rather not fork it just to cater for GOSes.