Problem ID: 53 - Keep loosing my VM's

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by PaulA2, Jun 2, 2015.

1. PaulA2

PaulA2 Member

So, I had Windows XP installed, running fine, then I unplugged a USB device running in the VM, and poof, the Mac rebooted, stupid DVD drive whir and all. Upon restarting, Parallels gave me an error 53, cannot create snapshot.

I gave up on it, and decided to reinstall a Windows 7 OS. Did so, everything was fine, then I unplugged a USB connection, and poof, Mac rebooted, DVD whir and all. Same exact problem 53, cannot create snapshot. I clicked the link provided, and did the new VM install, and selected my old Windows 7.hdd thing. No dice, still giving the snapshot error.

The Windows OS was a utility operating system, and all my files are saved to the generic Mac OS documents, so that is not a huge deal. It is a HUGE irritation to have to spend 4 hours redoing a new OS install though. Once I get Windows 7 reinstalled, how do I BACKUP or save my VM, so that it can be brought back to life if this happens again? I have a small SSD, so I do not do the Time Machine thing. Can I do a Windows disk image restore from a new Windows 7 install?

Also, my new SOP will be to not unplug any USB cable without fully shutting down parallels and Quitting the application! OMG, what a lame Problem 53 is.

Paul

2. PaulA2

PaulA2 Member

I guess I should ask........is there a way to recover my old VM even though the KB article way doesn't work?

Paul

3. Hi @PaulA2,
    Do you mean this KB.
    Have you already tried it?

4. PaulA2

PaulA2 Member

It was this KB.... http://kb.parallels.com/en/122818

I can access the .hdd, and my documents are in the shared Mac OSX folder, I just CANNOT boot into Windows, keep getting that snapshot cannot be create thing. Once I get Windows reinstalled or running again, I do not know how to protect it. All the restore methods I use on my Windows PC require being able to boot into Windows HDD or by disk and access the backup image.

What is the recommended way to reliably backup and restore a Parallels VM, given this specific USB OSX crash scenario I keep having?

Paul

5. PaulA2

PaulA2 Member

OK, got back into Windows! I had to disable "roll-back mode". So, the original problem is nullified, but the last question regarding backing up would still be valid. If not using Time Machine, how best to weekly/monthly full backup the VM in the event of a total mac HDD failure? :)

Paul

6. @PaulA2 you may take a snapshot after any Windows update or new apps installation.
    Also to be saved you may make a backup copy of virtual machine pvm folder (from Documents -> Parallels folder) and save it to external hard drive for example.