Installing parallels on mac activation/key issue

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Dinalli, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Dinalli

Dinalli Bit poster

Hi

Im just hoping that someone can help or at least send me in the correct direction.

A week ago I bought Parallels desktop for mac in my local PC store in the UK. Ive spent a week or atempting to install it correctly.

Part of the install is that you get an activation key, when ive tried to do this the key ive been sent is blank so i havent been able to activate the software yet. The software actually came with a registration key which i belive is different to the activation key but I dont see anywhere to enter this.

Finally I belive in the UK avanquest distribute the software and have sent a few emails to there tech email address but so far no reply.

Im not quite sure how to get this all working

The software build is version 1940
    Im running a Mac Book Pro Core Duo 2 with 2GB ram 160 GB HD

Any help is apprecaited.

Thanks

Andy

2. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

Hello Andy!
    The activation key that Parallels Desktop requires you to enter is of the following format: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX and should be printed on the back of the installation CD envelope or the back of the User's Guide.
    We do not deal with the boxed versions ourselves, so there isn't much we can help you with on that.
    However, please note that you have purchased Parallels Desktop for Mac version 2.0 (i can tell from the build number). Since you've made your purchase after May 1st, you are eligible for a free upgrade to PD 3.0. Please let me know in PM when you are able to locate your activation key.

3. bflyen

bflyen Junior Member

Be aware that the UK registration code will only work with the CD version provided and not with any upgrade downloaded from Parallels. You have to use the update function, not use any direct URL. Start with the CD, then modify the parameters of the update function until it updates. I sent the receipt for 2.6 to infouk (at ) avanquest.com to get 3.0 update and I got the new code within a few minutes.

BenT

4. Dinalli

Dinalli Bit poster

thanks for the replys.

Ive managed to get an link from info a t avanquest to allow me to upgrade, i did like you say send my reciept.

Unfortunatly this hasnt solved my problem either. Its still asks for an activation key for the previous version of parallels. Which of course i dont have as when i request it, avanquest just keep sending me blank emails with out a key in them.

So im still suck

5. dsansomga

dsansomga Bit poster

I have sort of a similar problem. Sort of. I downloaded an evaluation copy of Parallels Desktop for Mac and then purchased a copy of the software at a local retailer. I tried to use the Activation code on the CD, but the system told me I had the wrong version of the software. How can I activate? do I simply install from the CD, over the top of the existing install? I currently have Build 4560 on my machine, and I suspect the CD I bought is an earlier build. My eval copy is set to expire in 5 days, so a quick answer would sure be appreciated! I've got alot of time in setting up my Windows programs and I'd HATE to lose them!
    Thanks,
    Dave Sansom

6. Dinalli

Dinalli Bit poster

Hi

I finally got it to work last night. But it wasnt really that easy.

I uninstalled all versions of Parallels, and restarted the system.

Installed the earlier version from the disk (Version 2.0) and put in the key on the manual, watch out for Zeros and Os as its not clear which is which on the key. I installed that version and managed to activate it.

Restarted the machine

Then I installed the version that had been sent in a link by avanquest, restarted the system again and put the new key in and it worked well.

Seems the key to sort it was to restart after each step.

7. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

That's quite strange, generally activating the program doesn't require you to restart the system. Parallels Desktop just writes your activation key to a special file that is being checked later when using the program or updating. I can only suspect that due to some Mac OS strange behavior the program couldn't get an access to the license file without restarting.

8. dsansomga

dsansomga Bit poster

Glad you're up and running, Dinali. Now, is there anyone out there with an angle on my dilemma? Is it safe to install my new Parallels from CD over my downloaded Build 4560?

9. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

dsansomga, please see your PM list.

10. dsansomga

dsansomga Bit poster

Stan, I really hate to sound dense, but what's my "PM list"?

11. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

That's your account's private message list. It is available when you click the User CP link on top of your forum window.

12. whuff

whuff Member

I had the same question as dsansomga

Posted a few days ago but no one answered it. Would Stan O please send me a PM with the answer? Thanks