OK, the big question (El Capitan)...

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by JNuzzi, Jun 8, 2015.

1. JustMark

JustMark Bit poster

Just for interests sake for those with the USB issue that some have experienced thus far - I also tested Fusion, and ran into the same issue, which leads me to think that this is an underlying issue with 10.11 affecting both VM environments.

2. pixbroker

pixbroker Junior Member

I upgraded my MBP to El Capitan and i can also confirm that USB in the windows guest OS does not work. Unchecking USB 3.0 support in the Parallels preferences did not help.

I remember there was a similar issue when the first Yosemite betas came out and there was some trick to get it to work. I don't remember the full details but something about a kernel extension.

Can anyone remember what that was?

3. JarvisM1

JarvisM1 Bit poster

OSX 10.11 "El Capitan" prevents applications from writing to System/Protected locations on disk. If parallels requires write access to protected locations for USB support then it won't work properly; it will require a patch to work properly which i can guess won't be forth coming until closer to official release date of OS X 10.11 or whenever they announce Parallels 11.

4. pixbroker

pixbroker Junior Member

Not sure if this is related, but looking at the console, i see these messages

Attached Files:

5. NelsonB

NelsonB Bit poster

I tried the same thing. No luck either

GaryR1 likes this.
  6. ekohn00

ekohn00 Junior Member

I have a symantec USB token. I disconnected USB 3 and the camera. Reinstalled Parallels drivers, no luck.

7. HtooN

HtooN Bit poster

I found the solution to your problem. A new security feature called rootless was preventing Parallels from gaining access to Bootcamp partition.
    You can use this command to disable it and reboot

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0"

kext-dev-mode=1 is to solve another problem of trim not active on non-apple ssd. it may or may not be needed.

UPDATE: make sure you don't forget to re-enable it after Parallels make updates. It's a good security feature you're disabling.

8. JamesT1

JamesT1 Bit poster

Same problems with Parallels 10 trying VM of OS X 10.11
    I call support and had a ticket and sent them the logs the first day. Know I am seeing I am not the only one. So HOPEFULLY the Parallels Teams can make this a priority, plus they will charge us to upgrade :(

9. MatthiasV1

MatthiasV1 Bit poster

ty :) it helped a lot :)

10. NelsonB

NelsonB Bit poster

So is there a possible security issue with the USB trouble as well?

11. I was just about to ask the same question.

Has anyone tested HtooN's method to see if this also fixes the USB problem?

I plan to but I'm at work at the moment, I'll try it when I get home tonight and will let you guys know.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2015
  12. ekohn00

ekohn00 Junior Member

It was a great idea, but unfortunately HTooN's method didn't get my USB Tokens to work. :(

13. Thanks for trying, I guess we'll just have to wait to see what the Parallels tech team come back and say.

14. pixbroker

pixbroker Junior Member

I booted my mac into recovery mode and disabled the new system integrity feature from the utilities menu but unfortunately this doesn't seem to fix the USB issue.

15. JamesT1

JamesT1 Bit poster

"
    sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1 rootless=0"
    "
    Did not work for me with a usb installer on parallels 10 VM running OS X 10.10 :(

16. HtooN

HtooN Bit poster

My method is for situation like MatthiasV1 is having. We had installed Windows in Bootcamp and run it from parallels, on 10.11. I'm not sure what was causing USB 3.0 problem for 10.11 running inside Paralles

17. NelsonB

NelsonB Bit poster

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but there is a known issue listed in the Release Notes for El Capitan
    USB
    Known Issues

• USB storage devices, including internal SD card readers, may become unavailable after system sleep and require either re-plug or restart to recover.
    • USB input devices may become non-functional on some Macs after several days.
    • USB 1.0, 1.1 and older 2.0 devices may not function.

18. Stanislas

Stanislas Junior Member

For me it"s working but totaly unable to install the tools so it's extremely slow

19. Abhijit

Abhijit Member

100% success. New Installation went on 100% smoothly (after disabling USB and Camera)
    Parallels Tools -> had a small fight despite setting 'rootless=0'. Selecting the menu "Install Parallels tools" loads the DMG image but cannot run the installer APP
    Workaround is to launch the installer from terminal.
    Can see shared folders, display (even in Retina mode or Windowed mode) perfect and smooth.
    Side by Side applications works (as shown in WWDC demo)
    Overall fantastic !!!!

20. GaryR1

GaryR1 Bit poster

Hi Abhijit,

When you say 100% success does this include the use of USB's?

Thanks,
    Gary