Parallels running when I wake my Mac

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by twynne, Jun 13, 2015.

1. twynne

twynne Hunter

Bit of a strange one... and not sure when it started but seems to have been within the last 1-2 weeks. When I wake my Macbook from sleep, I'm finding Parallels running with a VM open when it was *definitely* not running (quit) when I put the Mac to sleep.

Is anyone else seeing similar? Could it be the most recent update to Parallels? Is there anything you can think of that would cause Parallels to launch itself independently?

Thanks!

2. Hi @twynne, please check steps below:
    1. First, go to Macintosh System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> and select 'Login Items'
    2. Check the Parallels Desktop or Virtual machine (for example "Windows 7") in login items and remove it by clicking "-"
    3. Also please locate the Windows program in the "Login Items" window.

For more information please check Parallels blog

3. twynne

twynne Hunter

Hi Maria,
    Thanks, but I've tried that. There are no Windows applications, nor the VM itself, in my login items.

I've just been experimenting a bit and I can now recreate this every time when I manually sleep my laptop with the screen open (so I can observe the behaviour). As soon as I put the machine to sleep it wakes moments later with the Parallels notification displaying about animations being disabled. When I move the cursor to take the screen, I see my Windows VM up and running when it was not left in that state.

I've now done this with console running and added markers prior to the machine sleeping, so I have a subsection of the console log with the relevant messages in it. I've raised a ticket (2122283) with Parallels, but can't seem to add the log info. Can you advise how to do this?

Thanks
    Tom

4. twynne

twynne Hunter

By the way, when the VM itself has opened, I'm finding Microsoft Outlook running when I have not launched it and it is not set to load automatically. Therefore I'm guessing that there may be something trying to load on the Mac which is set to load in Outlook for Windows. Is there any way to find out what this is, or what is trying to load it?

5. twynne

twynne Hunter

One more thing... I've just tried to make sure the Mac is not re-opening any files by restarting the Mac and de-selecting the option to 'reopen windows when logging in'. The problem unfortunately persists. The VM keeps opening and launching MS Outlook!

6. twynne

twynne Hunter

Does this console entry tell you anything? It's occurring each time this happens:

14/06/2015 10:29:24.429 WindowServer[155]: CGError post_notification(const CGSNotificationType, void *const, const size_t, const bool, const CGSRealTimeDelta, const int, const CGSConnectionID *const, const pid_t): Timed out 1.000 second wait for reply from "Microsoft Outlook" for synchronous notification type 102 (kCGSDisplayWillSleep) (CID 0x29d17, PID 1233)

7. twynne

twynne Hunter

For anyone else following this issue, Parallels has now contacted me directly to confirm this is a bug. Sadly it seems to have been marked as 'resolved' in the support system and referred to development. A poor choice in my opinion as it isn't 'resolved' to me as a customer, and it now requires that I keep checking back for a resolution.

if anyone else if having the issue, please let Parallels know so they realise the severity.

Thanks

Tom