Activation Code

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by whuff, Aug 5, 2007.

1. whuff

whuff Member

I have installed the latest version of Parallels 3.0 build 5060 and am under the 14-day trial activation. I really like the program. A friend just gave me a new unopened copy of Parallels 3.0 as a gift. Can I use the activation code from this version (I think it probably is the retail version build 4560 or earlier) and apply it to the version currently on my computer? I don't want to open the box and try this because I could return the copy to my friend for return to the store. Any ideas? Thanks

2. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

Well 5060 is a beta and it's key is valid for 14 days only.
    I would suggest to downgrade from beta to whatever version of 3.0 you have. To make a downgrade you should uninstall current PD using uninstaller from beta dmg package you used to install it.
    When you activate the new 3.0 installation with it's key, you'll be able to use the Check for Updates function to update your initial copy to the latest official build of PD 3.0 available at our website.

3. whuff

whuff Member

Windows VM

Thanks for the reply -

When I uninstall the Beta 5060 - what happens to the windows VM I have created? And all the printer and network setup I had to do that took so much time. I am reluctant to do that if it means having to do this all over. I like the 5060 build and am having no problems that I am aware of. Thanks again.

4. Stan O

Stan O Parallels Team

Well, just backup your VMs from Documents\Parallels to a safe location before you uninstall, if you will. Actually the uninstaller does not remove the VM files.