Anyone running multiple VM?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Ian, May 9, 2006.

1. Ian

Ian Junior Member

Simple question, are they any problems running more than one VM at a time? I have a Linux development VM I would like to run along-side an embedded Linux VM. It would be really cool if the two could operate at the same time.

Thanks, -Ian

P.S. Both VM are configured for bridged networking.

2. jmdevaney

jmdevaney Member

I have run Fedora Core 5 and Windows XP at the same time both bridged. The biggest issue will be the amount of physical ram in your machine and the amount of ram allocated to the VM's.

3. Ian

Ian Junior Member

Great, thanks for the validation! I have a MBP with 2GB of RAM. One VM will need 512, the other 256. So, I should be OK. I was thinking of this situation when I purchased the MBP :)
    -Ian

4. jmdevaney

jmdevaney Member

Im running an iMac 2Gb of ram and both VM's had 512Mb so you should be fine.

5. joshv

joshv Member

I have made many attempts at running 2 XP VM's at the same time. My MBP has 2GB of RAM and each VM about 512MB. Both have the same config, Airport, Sound, USB, etc....

Let me start by saying that I love this product and kudos to the team for such rapid development.

That being said, I have found it almost impossible to run both VM's at the same time. One or both are completely unstable with frequent crashes. Crashes are 100% repeatable around suspending one of the VM's at a time while the other is running.

6. axelf

axelf Junior Member

Parallels crashes if I have to restart or shut down one of the VMs. Pretty inconvenient if you have to make configuration changes in one of the VMs that requires a reboot.

7. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

Have you turned OFF sound card support in both VM configurations?

8. mavidal

mavidal Product Expert

I found that this is related to the CD rom, disable the Cd in one of the VM's before you start and this should clear it.

MV

9. plarusa

plarusa Member

Bad experiences here with multiple VMs since the early betas.

10. spursley

spursley Bit poster

I am running XP Pro (SP2) and SuSE Linux 10.0 on a 15" MBP with 2 GB RAM.

Except for a bit of a speed hit (most noticable with the Linux VM) I have had no problems.

11. skelley

skelley Bit poster

I have been running two or three WinXP vm's on my iMac. I found it quite handy to have some vm's binding to the airport network and other's binding to the wired network. This way I can test our sites from an internal and external POV.

12. axelf

axelf Junior Member

Thanks for the tip, but I disabled the CDRom in both VMs and it still crashes.

I wish they would fix this or at least respond to one of my posts that they recognize it as a bug and are working on it. Until this is working I have to use VMware in XP with bootcamp.

13. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Multiple VMs issues is solved already and fixes will be included into next public build.