Parallels Desktop 8 and OSX Yosemite - guess what?...

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Darren_Coleman, Oct 17, 2014.

1. FredUntu

FredUntu Member

Hi Omar,
    Should you consider switching from PD, I really would recommend Virtual Box.
    It's free... and offers about the same features as PD does. It's even faster on some occasions. And it can import PD Virtual Disks.
    But it's not for everyones use : VRam is limited to 128MB in some VM's... and it's not optimized for some Linux Distros.
    You can also use VMWare Fusion.

As far as I am concerned, since I decided to stop using PD after their despicable marketing (claiming you NEED to have PD10 to run on Yosemite was one ; claiming PD 10 is fully compatible with OsX 10.10 when it was not and solving the problem only after several months...) I switched to VMWare Fusion 7 Pro and, after spending some time to tweak it to my needs, do not regret it. Why ? Simple : same features ad PD10, but 10% CPU usage when idle (where PD 10 uses about 120-150%), faster...
    Only 2 problems : that annoying keyboard bug (the "@" and "<" are switched...) and the "Unity" bug (it's like Coherence... works much better... but windows do not go to background... making it unusable).

Conclusion : none of those virtualization softwares is perfect. The best would be a mix of all 3. But, at least for my own needs, VMWare Fusion is the best option and I'll stick to it... even though, as a good lamb, I bought PD7, PD8, PD9 and PD10...

Regards.

2. omar.ri

omar.ri Bit poster

Thanks for your kind reply.

I found ways on how switch to virtual box the day the announcement was made.
    I did it but since I have an xp vm laying around I start to use it cause in box I have 7 and 8 I am just saying cause now I have a valid reason for not keep this software on my machine.

Take care Fred.

3. Findjammer

Findjammer Junior Member

Mine still seems to be running fine. What specific problems are you seeing running XP?

4. saharmohamedali

saharmohamedali Bit poster

Can I get a refund

5. Kartini

Kartini Bit poster

MBP 13-inch early 2011, Yosemite 10.10.3, PD8, No issue running W8 (since Oct-2014).
    Anyone tried the W10 beta in PD8 on Yosemite 10.10.3?

6. Dishant@Parallels

Dishant@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Kartini,
    Windows 10 technical preview is supported only in Parallels Desktop 10 and not in any previous versions.