OS X 10.11 El Capitan - Parallels USB Issue

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Parallels User, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Hi,

Currently there's an issue if you're running El Capitan in regards to using USBs in Guest OS's. You will not be able to mount any USB, to my understanding, it's to do with the a new security feature that Apple have implemented.

I understand that Parallels currently do not support El Capitan as it's still in the Technical Preview stage but does anyone have any sort of workaround or fix they have discovered for this?

Kind Regards,
    Gary

2. PutinasP

PutinasP Bit poster

I console error is logged:
    6/16/15 2:16:31.000 PM kernel[0]: com_parallels_usb_control_client(0xffffff8067e02100)::setProperties() Client has not privileges!

kext in question is located at:
    /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Library/Extensions/10.9/prl_usb_connect.kext

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  3. povlhp

povlhp Bit poster

Same issue with VMWare, so right now dual boot is our only solution to get USB in Windows. Hoping for a quick fix / Version 11 beta.

4. PutinasP

PutinasP Bit poster

as mentioned by povlhp - it doesn't work on VMWare. However I got it working on VMWare with this command:
    sudo nvram boot-args="rootless=0"
    and rebooting. I don't have Parallels on my home computer - but probably someone can give a try to it.
    (If you have made some modifications like enabling TRIM on third party SSD, it's a good idea to check boot-args setting in nvram first. You can do it with command:
    nvram -p | grep boot-args
    If there is output - better do not experiment ;)

p.s. If you want to revert it, here is command as well:
    sudo nvram -d boot-args

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  5. DmitrijsP

DmitrijsP Bit poster

El Capitan Beta 2. Windows 7 guest OS. USB works on guest now.

6. Bill Standen

Bill Standen Member

Disabling it on the VM seems to work for the initial boot on my Macbook Pro but after rebooting the host I get kernel panics again whenever I start Parallels, don't even have to start a VM. Nothing obvious in the logs either to suggest a cause.

Oddly, my iMac works perfectly without any change for 10.10. Joys of beta OSs.