migrating to a new internal drive

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by tomasr, Jun 18, 2015.

1. tomasr

tomasr Junior Member

I'm having no success, so maybe someone can give me a clue: I cloned my Mac OS10.10.2 to a new hard drive which was external, and then swapped that with the old internal drive (which has a BootCamp partition, with with I've been using Parallels 9). I wanted to find a way as easy as that Mac clone, to get my Windows 7 system and programs and files into the new hard drive which is now the internal drive in my MBPro (13", mid '09). I hoped the Transporter/Migration system in Parallels would do it - the instructions seem easy - but both migrating thru an external drive and trying directly through the network of Windows with the Mac side (via Parallels) were failures. In both cases, after a long time of working, when it looked finished, it stopped transferring files and gave an error message re: activation. The Windows is activated, as is Parallels. The (partial?) .hdd file created was unopenable by Parallels, it was about 36 GB in size.

I hate to start from scratch and install all my Windows programs, update, and transfer all files by hand, but I don't see another way. Is there an easier way? Help!

2. Hi @tomasr , please try the following steps:
    1. Use EFI Boot (VM config -> Hardware -> boot order -> "Use EFI Boot" option) and try to start VM
    2. Download the previous version of Parallels transporter (9.0.24251) and migrate your Windows once again.

Please let me know the results.

3. tomasr

tomasr Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but it is too late now. After a few days with the problem, I decided to simply start from scratch: I installed Parallels in my new (now internal) hard drive, and my Windows 7 via the MS installation disk, and then reinstalled programs etc. So all is well, less the excessive time wasted.