Can't open folders on the desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by BrianM3, Jun 29, 2015.

1. BrianM3

BrianM3 Bit poster

When i open Paralles the folders that are on my mac desktop show up on my windows 10 desktop but i can't open any of the folders unless they are shortcuts. I double click, nothing happens or right click select "open" and nothing happens. Is there anyway to fix this?

2. Vincenzo

Vincenzo Bit poster

I haven't this problem. If I double click on an icon of these files, the system open the file.
    Instead I would like to know why I see all MAC files on my Windows Desktop and the trashed Mac files on Windows Trash !!!
    Can I unable this function?

3. BrianM3

BrianM3 Bit poster

Vincenzo try this
    1) start your windows virtual machine
    2) on the menu bar of your mac click "Actions"
    3) click "Configure" in the drop down list
    4) click the "Security" tab
    5) click the check box in the middle that says "Isolate Windows from Mac"
    6) then will have to restart your windows and your mac files should be gone on your windows desktop
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need to access my mac files in windows. Specifically, I'm working with a digital signage software called BrightAuthor which is windows only. I'm not able to save files from this program and I'm not able to publish to a network folder from this software. I had confirmation from the company that BrightAuthor works with Paralles. I'm hoping someone on here is also using this software. Please let me know

4. Vincenzo

Vincenzo Bit poster

uhm... If I set as "Isolate Windows from Mac", I can't use internet applications and can't copy files from Mac to Win and vice versa.
    Before, I can copy files but no duplication file trough the two system. Is it changed now with the last version???

5. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Hi this functionality is called Shared Profile. It links Mac home folder to Windows ones. You can disable it in VM Configuration > Options > Sharing

Vincenzo likes this.
  6. marat_t

marat_t Pro

better update Win10 to the latest available build and reinstall Parallels Tools after that ( Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools). also please check this article http://kb.parallels.com/en/123045

7. Vincenzo

Vincenzo Bit poster

That's OK. Thank you very much!

8. marat_t

marat_t Pro

9. BrianM3

BrianM3 Bit poster

When I try to update in windows it tells me that I need 2gb of ram free. I have 9gb free. I downloaded the updated ISO and tried to install it but the product key wouldn't work. Do I have to uninstall this build first?

10. marat_t

marat_t Pro

are you trying to update win10 that's already installed? you can do it via Win updates.
    if you trying to update existing win8.1 or older VM, then you should increase VM memory in Configuration (http://kb.parallels.com/en/117287 ) > Hardware > Memory. I don't know what key should be specified at this point (win10 or key of the current installation).
    you may install Windows 10 preview from scratch using this article http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

also, if you wanna make shared folders work in existing Win10 VM, you may just follow article mentioned in my post above.

11. DarinB1

DarinB1 Bit poster

BrianM3, you wrote: 'When i open Paralles the folders that are on my mac desktop show up on my windows 10 desktop but i can't open any of the folders unless they are shortcuts. I double click, nothing happens or right click select "open" and nothing happens. Is there anyway to fix this?'
    This is exactly the problem that I am encountering. Did you find a resolution?

12. DarinB1

DarinB1 Bit poster

Did you find a resolution? I am having the exact same issue...

13. BrianM3

BrianM3 Bit poster

no i'm hoping updating windows will do it but i think my companies firewall is causing me to not be able to update in my win10 virtual machine

14. DarinB1

DarinB1 Bit poster

Hi Brian, I fixed my issue by starting Parallels selecting ACTIONS and then RESET. Is did this using the following directions: http://kb.parallels.com/en/123094
    I can now use Windows normally and can select and click all icons and folders. Hope this works for you.

15. BrianM3

BrianM3 Bit poster

Got it! I did the Actions > Reset and that allowed me to open files on the desktop but not folders so I reinstalled Parallel tools and now it works perfectly. Thanks everyone!