Can I just allow a network to Guest OS(Windows)?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by HanK1, Jul 3, 2015.

1. HanK1

HanK1 Bit poster

Hi! Nice to meet you.
    Almost all PC in my company is Windows 7 and only about 10 Mac in there.
    Each Mac Users have two PCs(windows & mac).

* windows PC use Active Directory for PC login
    * Mac use local authentication.
    * Mac is controlled by Endpoint Protector(which is made by COSOSYS).
    * I can give static IP (which is matching the NIC's Mac Address) for those users.

So, Is is passible to following things?
    * Block all network(or just connect to Active Directory) for Mac(Host OS) and only use network on Windows (on Parallels VM)
    * window(Guest OS) should authenticate Active Directory

Because Almost all security policies & DLP solutions are for windows in my company.
    therefore I want to guides for Mac User
    (1) Mac should be used for design or for producing iphone app on stand alone local machine.
    (2) if Mac user need to connect internet, they should be use on Guest OS(Windows).

Is it possible?

Thank you for you help!

2. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Hello,
    Parallels Desktop doesn't provide an ability to block Internet on the Mac side, however there are 2 types of networking: NAT (shared) and bridged(<http://kb.parallels.com/en/4948>). Your option is bridged. In this case you will need to configure Firewall for the Mac's or prohibit using network via MAC address filtering or somehow else. Please note if you are going to use MAC filtering, then when in bridged and using Wi Fi connection, in VM configuration > Hardware network type should be Wi-Fi and DHCP server should be set to 'use generated mac addresses'. in this configuration your switches should allow several IP addresses and several MAC addresses per port - in other case VM will never get IP address =)

feel free to ask any questions.

imho properly configured firewall is better then MAC filtering

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You can just block internet access at the router/gateway level for the respective Mac IPs/MACs, and that's really where you should be blocking access, not locally. On same routers you can even set the hours and days they are allowed or not allowed on the internet. But I do think it's ill advised to block Macs from having internet access, not even for updates? How can you develop iPhone apps while being cutaway from the internet? Doesn't XCode need to be updated?