Can't Shut Down Windows 7 - BSOD

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by CadeC, Jun 14, 2015.

1. CadeC

CadeC Junior Member

I just installed parallels desktop V10 and transported my windows 7 laptop onto my new MacBook Pro. Every time I try to shut down the virtual machine, I get the regular shutdown screen, then it flashes to a Blue Screen of Death stating

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0060F1E9, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8A06FAC7)

iaStor.sys - Address 8A06FAC7 base at 8A02B000, DateStamp 4a7c1b38

Then it reboots the virtual machine automatically and I get the "window's didn't shut down properly" prompt and always choose to start windows normally. The VM runs fine, no programs were lost although the desktop icons disappeared. I'm LOST as to what is happening. Anyone have any clue what could cause this or even better, what could fix this?!

Thanks in Advance!
    Cade

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Cade,
    Start the Windows normally and then try running sfc /scannow and if there is any Windows updates, please update the Windows and check how it works.

3. CadeC

CadeC Junior Member

Thank You for the response!

I did that and was not prompted to update anything. I went into control panel to the "Windows Update" and there was the shield with a red X. When I clicked "Check for Updates" it told me to reboot. So I downloaded the service pack and reinstalled/repaired everything in SP1 to make sure it was all up to date, and now I get a BSOD
    BAD_POOL_CALLER
    0x0000000C2

Rather than sort through this... would there be an easy way to just drop my windows 7 desktop onto the windows 10 desktop that came with the parallels desktop? That functions properly. Just wondering as I could see that being slightly easier if possible.

Thanks
    Cade

4. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hello CadeC,
    If you have any unnecessary external device connected to the computer, you may unplug them & check if the issue persists.
    You may also run a disk check and sfc scan on the hard drive & check if it helps.
    Open the Start menu, type in 'cmd' (Command Prompt) without quotes, right-click on the application and choose Run as Administrator.
    In Command Prompt type in:
    chkdsk (hit Return/Enter)
    sfc /scannow (hit Return/Enter) and wait until the operation is completed and then try to start in normal mode and check how it works.

5. CadeC

CadeC Junior Member

I did the sfc/scannow first and it didn't do anything. I'm not getting the BAD_POOL_CALLER bsod when I shutdown and it freezes on that, does not restart now.

Thanks
    Cade

6. CadeC

CadeC Junior Member

I also can not update windows. It tells me I need to reboot, or sometimes that 'this feature is not authorized' and is telling me I'm not running a genuine copy of windows. I'm going to try to just copy over a whole new virtual machine and see if maybe something just went wrong in the transport.

Thanks
    Cade

7. mmika

mmika Pro

You need to disable iaStor.sys driver and use msahci.sys instead.
    Look like VM was not transferred well or it is Parallels Transporter issue.
    Also try to switch virtual optical drive and HDD to IDE instead of SATA, this would be the easiest way.

8. CadeC

CadeC Junior Member

Could you please explain how to do that? I don't know how.

Thanks
    Cade

9. mmika

mmika Pro

Let's start from the virtual storage interface change.
    1. Shutdown the VM
    2. Take a snapshot
    3. Go to VM preferences (Configure->Hardware->HardDisk 1->Advanced settings) and change location from SATA 0:1 to IDE 0:0
    4. Repate same for CD/DVD (CD/DVD 1->Advanced settings) and change location from SATA 0:2 to IDE 0:1
    Try to start the VM. If it fails with BSOD 0x7B on Windows start just revert to snapshot.

10. CadeC

CadeC Junior Member

Well on the first try, that fixed it! Thanks mmike! I'll post back if anything changes!

Thanks
    Cade

11. mmika

mmika Pro

If you want to return to AHCI (virtual SATA devices), you need to modify some registry settings.
    See https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/922976 for details.
    You need set value 0 to start field of subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
    AND set 4 to to start field of subkey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStor.sys
    Shutdown the VM
    At this point you can change location of virtual devices back to SATA.
    Please create a VM snapshot before modifying registry settings.

12. CadeC

CadeC Junior Member

mmika, what would be the purpose of using the virtual SATA devices? Is that something I SHOULD do? Or just another solution?

Thanks
    Cade

13. mmika

mmika Pro

Initially your windows VM is AHCI enabled.
    But it is not significant for VM from the performance POW unless you have parallels tools installed.
    The only issue is an online compact feature. AFAIK it is not supported for IDE devices.

14. CadeC

CadeC Junior Member

Honestly, I have no clue what any of that means. I wish I had the time to research it. Is any of that crucial for the VM performance? or will I be ok keeping the first fix you suggested.

Thank you very much for all your help!
    Cade

15. mmika

mmika Pro

I think IDE/SATA switch does not affect to Windows VM performance.