Generic icons for Windows drives on Mac desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by macsrwe, Jul 1, 2015.

1. macsrwe

macsrwe Junior Member

Nothing earth-shaking, just a minor annoyance... When Parallels is running, it has always put a handy alias icon for the Windows drive on my Mac desktop. It's always been a standard blue "server" icon. A couple days ago, after a neighborhood power failure, the icon suddenly became a generic dog-eared document icon, and nothing I have tried will turn it back. I tried pasting the correct icon in the Get Info window (I got beeped at). I tried dragging the alias to the trash, then rebooting Windows -- a new generic icon was created.

I have defined an external backup drive to be "disk 2" -- it isn't always present at boot, but it is when I want to run a backup. When it's present, it still shows up on the desktop with the proper blue icon, right there next to the generic icon for drive C:.

Does anybody know how to get the correct icon back?

I'm running the latest available Parallels Desktop, on the latest available Mountain Lion update.

2. Ram@Parallels

Ram@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Macsrwe, could you please provide us a screenshot of the icons, so that we can check and let you know.

3. macsrwe

macsrwe Junior Member

It appears that the problem fixed itself sometime in the past two days. I suspect it was some kind of OS X Finder or cache gum-up. I'll re-open this if it occurs again (though I've been using Parallels for five years and this is the first time I ever saw it).

4. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Glad to here that the issue is resolved @macsrwe , feel free to reach out anytime, we are happy to help.