Parallels 10 app interfering with System Preferences' printers pane

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MassimoM2, Jun 10, 2015.

1. MassimoM2

MassimoM2 Bit poster

While the whole Parallels environment operates perfectly once my Mac Pro is up and running, since a few months I am having an issue with the Parallels app interfering with the printers pane of the System Preferences at start-up. In other words, it happens quite frequently that right after I have powered up the Mac the System Preferences' printers & scanners pane results blank, even though I have several printers and one scanner connected to the computer. When it is so, also the two Windows VM I have do not open up: Parallels stays trying for say a minute, then it gives up and provides an error message.
    What I have to do is:
    - terminate prl_disp_service using the brute force of Monitor
    - pull Parallels.app into the Trash Bin, confirming the uninstallation by password
    - empty flush the Trash Bin
    - restart the Mac once or twice
    .... and at a certain point I see again all my printers, and the Windows VM's open up well.

Then the Parallels environment operates wonderful until the time I power off. Nobody knows whether at the next morning's power up all will move forward right, or I will be obliged to go through the above sequence again in order to see/have my printers and my VM's.

I can't identify a particular situation that might have caused this. From when it started happening I have done several major updates both in the OS (i.e. 10.9 to 10.10, etc.) and in the Parallels environments. None of them impacted positively resolving this issue. It is not vital to me, as with say 20-30 minutes of work I can get to work ok as said, but it is quite annoying anyway as you can imagine.

Any possible suggestion?

2. Manoj@Parallels

Manoj@Parallels Parallels Support Parallels Support

Hi MassimoM2,
    Please submit a Problem Report ID http://kb.parallels.com/9058 and provide us the ID number here, to investigate further on this issue.

3. MassimoM2

MassimoM2 Bit poster

Hi, thank you for this. As I was mentioning, thanks God it's not happening at all times, then I need to wait for the next time it happens if I want to forward a Problem Report well useful because complete with its full technical attachments. My next post with the ID number when I face this again. Thank you.

4. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Massimo,
    Sure, if you come up with the same issue again, feel free to post us with the Problem Report ID, so that we can check it for you.

5. MassimoM2

MassimoM2 Bit poster

Hi Dhruba,
    This morning I have had the problem. This below is the sequence of events:
    - switched on my Mac Pro
    - discovered right away I had no printers nor scanners available in the printers pane of System's Preferences
    - then run Parallels
    - after a while had 2 popup error windows (I have 2 VMs: one XP and one Seven)
    - I had clicked on Send Report on both of them, one at a time
    - at the end, the Report ID I received for XP is 66659705
    - and the Report ID I received for Seven is 66659444
    Now I am going to uninstall Parallels, flush the trash bin, and repeatedly boot/reboot the Mac until all printers are available again, then reinstall Parallels and all should return OK, as usually.
    Thank you in advance for any help you will be able to provide to come up with a solid solution.
    Massimo

6. MassimoM2

MassimoM2 Bit poster

Hi,
    Did you happen to look into this issue and maybe find solutions?
    Thank you.

7. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

8. MassimoM2

MassimoM2 Bit poster

Hi Dhruba,
    Yes, I had created the two support tickets according to your instruction at the time I had the problem: please see my post of June 17th here above. As you can see, the two tickets numbers are: 66659705 (for Windows XP) and 66659444 (for Windows Seven).
    Thank you.
    Massimo