Windows 10 update reservation icon?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JisooP, Jun 3, 2015.

?

Will you be updating your windows to windows 10?

1. Yup

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. We'll see how it goes and I'll make the choice near the end of the free update period

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Windows 10 update? I have to have Windows XP! No way!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I have Windows XP but I'll be purchasing windows 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JisooP

JisooP Bit poster

Hiya,

I have a late 2013 MBPr 15" with geforce graphics card without any CTO (Base i7, 512G SSD, 16G RAM, etc)

Bought parallels 9 and updated to 10 and using windows 7 with legit key
    (recently moved the windows VM file onto external HDD)

I was wondering if anyone was able to get that windows 10 reservation icon up and running?

If no one can, by default, then I'm thinking of installing the windows on a PC, get reservation, and when Windows 10 is released, get my key updated for windows 10 and reinstall on my parallels 10 maybe....?

am also wondering, whether windows 7, 8, or 8.1, how many of you are going to update?

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

JisooP likes this.
  3. Miwibu

Miwibu Bit poster

I don;t receive the get windows 10 icon. Don't want to install win10 prev, but want to reserve for windows 10. Run pd 11beta, no update possibility found for lateste updates. Any idea getting win10 reserved?

JisooP likes this.
  4. CccA

CccA Junior Member

You get the icon as part of some "windows updates" and many people were very annoyed with Microsoft for adding unwanted software to their systems!
    You have a year to update so there is no panic. I'm sure it will be possible without the icon!
    I can't answer your poll as I am already using the preview!

JisooP likes this.
  5. JisooP

JisooP Bit poster

well, I wsn't looking for ways to install windwos 10, per se but thanks for the reply!

6. JisooP

JisooP Bit poster

If you're asking me, no :( I dont' have slightest idea how to reserve for Windows10 update...am just hoping the 1 year period will be open for anyone with license key regardless of reservation.

7. JisooP

JisooP Bit poster

I'm hoping the MS will open the update to everyone regardless of reservation!

How do you like the preview so far, btw?

8. agranovsky

agranovsky Member

JisooP likes this.
  9. JisooP

JisooP Bit poster

ohhhhh....so maybe that's what's causing the halt in reservation.......the graphics......

well, it does make sense in a way cause the reservation process would go through the system requirements check....
    I can definitely allocate more ram and CPU head and SSD(or HDD) space but I can't really do anything for virtual install of Windows 7 to fully accept the vendor name or performance of the graphics I have with my MBPr....

although, on second thought, this doesn't seem to be related to the graphics cause even then there should've been a pop-up alerting me that the system wouldn't qualify for requirements' spec.

argghghgh, this really bugs me, not to the point where I can't do my work or daily routine just bugs me.... :(

10. RichD1

RichD1 Bit poster

Same here. I just uninstalled the driver, removed/moved the file in C:\windows\AppCompat\Appraiser\Telemetry (the .JSON file, forget the name), then for good measure ran each of the options in the win10fix_full script again, and then watch as the disk space fluctuated until it stopped (due to background Compatibility collection). After that, I now had the "reserve" button on the main screen of "Get Windows 10" app.

11. homelyn

homelyn Bit poster

HI

I ran the script win10fix_full that downloaded from dropbox, see previous post, works fine, can check to see if anything is missing, no, then placed the get win10 icon on lower left of desktop.
    ran the icon and found that Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM) won't work with win10 as well as not enough RAM.

I have been running win10 preview copy for some time successfully.

So, will I be able to get the proper win10, i really don't know.

has anyone else got this answer when running the Get windows icon?

cheers

Eric

12. MikeZ1

MikeZ1 Bit poster

Hi,

Here is how I got A), the Get Windows 10 Icon to show in the task bar and B), to reserve my Windows 10 copy on my Windows 8.1 Parallels VM.

ad A)
    1) Download the win10fix_full.bat from https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u0au9xgy6ss18p/win10fix_full.zip?dl=0&force_dl=1
    2) Run the script and make sure the KB3035583 is installed with options 1
    3) Open regedit.exe and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators and make sure the string values UpgEx and UpgExU exist there and are set to Green. If not, create the string values UpgEx and UpgExU and enter Green as the value.
    4) Repeat the same for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators\Reduced and make sure both UpgEx and UpgExU show Green there.
    5) Run the win10fix_full.bat as Admin again and use option 2. Now the Get Windows 10 Upgrade Icon should show up there

ad B)
    1) Before you click the Get Windows 10 Upgrade Icon, open the file C:\Windows\AppCompat\Appraiser\Telemetry\Appraiser.JSON in Notepad.exe
    2) Make sure it's content looks like the following
    {
    "JsonSuccessfullyWritten" : true,
    "JsonVersion" : 3,
    "JsonCreationTime" : "130800491614668440",
    "CompatSectionCount" : 0,
    "CompatSections" :
    [
    ]
    }
    3) Save the file
    4) Now click on the Get Windows 10 Upgrade Icon, you should now be able to reserve your free Windows 10 upgrade

Hope this works for others too!
    Best,
    MikeZ

homelyn likes this.
  13. homelyn

homelyn Bit poster

MikeZ

well done it works a treat.

Thanks

Eric

:):):):)

14. ParallelsU9

ParallelsU9 Bit poster

Worked for me too, thank you for taking the time to put that together. Windows 8.1 Pro (All Updates installed) / Parallels 10.2.1 / 4GB allocated to VM.

15. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

I ran several versions of the public trial of Windows 10 without any problems with the Parallels video driver. (Yes I liked it better than 8.1 but stopped doing the trials anyway.)
    I was able to do the "reservation" for Windows 10 as soon as the icon showed up in the system tray. But even though when I check it says that my reservation is in place, it stills says - when checking if my computer will actually run Windows 10 - that the Parallels video driver is not compatible. Hoping that Parallels fixes this before the the release.
    BTW - the "reservation" does not have to happen - as was said MS will allow the free upgrade for I believe a year from the release of Windows 10. What the "reservation" does from what I have read is notify you to download the install files BEFORE the release date. You won't be allowed to do the actual installation before July 29th, but you won't get stuck in the expected log-jam of everyone crashing MS's servers to download the files.

16. akshayk1

akshayk1 Bit poster

@MikeZ1
    Question 1:- I have uploaded one 1 image in which there is no HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators\Reduced
    Enable_Get_Windows_10_Upgrade_App_Taskbar_Icon.png
    But above you have suggested to Repeat the same for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators\Reduced and make sure both UpgEx and UpgExU show Green there.

What folder REDUCED is ? What it means ?

Question 2: Secondly on my other PC,
    there are 2 folder registry settings : 1. UpgradeExperienceIndicators
    2. Reduced .

Please see the next 2 Images for this. UpgradeExperienceindicators.PNG

UpgradeExperienceindicators Reduced.PNG

Can you tell why half settings are in first folder and rest in second REDUCED folder.

Are these two images settings are O.K. ?

In your suggestions you have to Repeat the same for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators\Reduced.

As you can see both UpgEx and UpgExU are only in one image \Reduced. and not in UpgradeExperienceIndicators folder

Therefore can you tell everything is alright ?

17. PhilipTobias

PhilipTobias Bit poster

Thanks for posting the script in Dropbox. Running that script got my Windows 10 icon to display, and I was then able to reserve a free Windows 10 upgrade from my Windows 8.1 virtual machine.

...pt

18. CHrisTheBiPolarBear

CHrisTheBiPolarBear Junior Member

I have many windows machines in parallels windows 7 home gets upgrade icon so dose windows 8.1 but windows 7 pro and ultimate Don't.. any answers ran win10fix.bat and various different methods

19. CHrisTheBiPolarBear

What I just did was go to device manager click on properties for graphics card go to Driver tab then uninstall also select remove software from computer...this will then install a generic standard via driver...Change settings to unhide hidden files then search computer for gwx folder..its in c:\windows\system32 right click on the run gwx application and run as administrator and you should get reserve windows 10 icon...Just worked on 2 machines I couldn't get an icon on...

20. CHrisTheBiPolarBear

After searching round the net came across this
    http://www.askvg.com/fix-get-windows-10-upgrade-app-icon-is-missing-in-taskbar/
    and it states about the reduced key "If you see another key with the name REDUCED under UpgradeExperienceIndicatorskey, it means the "Get Windows 10" app is running under reduced mode. It happens when your computer hardware is not compatible with Windows 10 upgrade. In such case, as mentioned in point 4 of "Important Things to Know" above, the app icon in system tray will automatically appear after Windows 10 launch date i.e. July 29, 2015. So you should wait of Windows 10 launch. If you don't want to wait, you can try to delete REDUCED key and make sure the entries present in UpgradeExperienceIndicators key match with the above screenshot."