Parallels does not think Windows is shut down

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by FireClown, Jul 28, 2015.

1. FireClown

FireClown Member

Whenever I shut down Windows, the PD Control Center displays the moon icon indicating that the VM is asleep instead of shut down. When I start the VM back up, it clearly says that it is resuming but then goes through the full start up routine. Because of this I can no longer edit the settings for my VM. If I click the settings button in Control Center, it tells me that "To be able to change the settings on this page, resume the virtual machine and then shut it down ." This despite the fact that I just used the Shut Down command. I've also tried the Stop command with similar results. The only difference is that with the Stop command, when I restart Windows I get the "Windows sis not shut down correctly" screen -- no surprise there. Finally, i also tried removing the VM from Control Center and adding it back. When I added it back, it came in as sleeping, not shut down.

Anyone have a clue how I can get the VM to register as shut down in Parallels? This is also preventing me from troubleshooting another problem where my Start Menu on the OSX Dock will not work.

2. FireClown

FireClown Member

Weird. After posting that message, I realized one thing I had not tried was to use the power button in the PD Control Center to start up and shut down the VM. I usually click the VM preview area to start it up. It worked! I have no idea why, but when I used the power button on the Control Center, the VM started up, then i used the power button to put it to sleep. After that, I was able to start and shut down properly. Maybe the solution was to actually put it to sleep instead of trying to shut it down, which is what I normally do.

3. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

4. FireClown

FireClown Member

As I mentioned earlier, I already worked it out. However, the point still remains that something within Parallels got stuck and only one of the many ways of shutting down the VM actually registered it as shut down. All other methods, despite being shut down commands, made Parallels think it was suspended. Anyway, the problem is solved for me.