Can't Reserve Win10 - Parallels Display Driver Critical Issue

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MichaelS4, Jun 3, 2015.

1. ThomasL3

ThomasL3 Bit poster

I see you referenced Parallels 9. I am running Parallels 10. Will this work?

2. StuartH1

StuartH1 Bit poster

I managed to get Windows 10 installed using these steps but all three scenarios failed to mount the Parallel Tools Drive under Parallels 9. I had no option other than to upgrade to Parallels 10 (I know 11 is coming) and then I could install Parallels Tools. Windows 10 working fine on my 2012 Retina MBP. Step 3 is also incorrect. Download the ISO from within your Windows VM - you then have the option to Upgrade so no re-entering the licence key needed. Happy installing and good luck. The whole process took just over an hour and a half (over a 12mbp connection)

PS big thanks to DanielK4 for posting this solution. Much Respect :)

3. ParallelsU9

ParallelsU9 Bit poster

I was running Parallels 10.2.2, Windows 8.1 Pro. As others, but upgrade failed the compatibility test.
    Downloading the ISO upgrading via that worked great for me. Installed Parallels tools afterwards and things seem to have gone well.

Edit: for Parallels 10, my \psf shared folders work ok.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  4. ErosS

ErosS Bit poster

Add me to the list of people extremely happy with Parallels (yes, this was sarcasm)...
    All of this time and no solution so far? Your software is not cheap you know that right? Proper support is the very least you should do.

5. niico100

niico100 Junior Member

Same issue trying to install full Windows 10 (was released today).

When will you fix this? When is Parallels 11 out?

6. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

PD already said on social media, no news about P11 yet.

7. ThomasL3

ThomasL3 Bit poster

So on my iMac, with Parallels 10, I have been participating in the Windows 10 beta program. Ironically, that works just fine. Of course, I have no clue if I'm running the beta or the final release.

8. StephenR2

StephenR2 Bit poster

I had a reservation confirmed. On release day, I got the message saying the display driver wasn't compatible. I uninstalled Parallels Tools and rebooted. Downloaded the ISO file as mentioned above (64 bit version). Mounted ISO and ran the installer. Windows installed just fine. Then reinstalled Parallels Tools using the Menu within Parallels. Everything is working just fine.

2013 MacBook Pro running OS 10.10.4 and Parallels 10.2.2

Specimen likes this.
  9. Darren_Coleman

Darren_Coleman Junior Member

Does your DVD drive work? Mine doesn't even show in Windows 10, it only shows in Device Manager as a "Virtual DVD" device.

EDIT: Seemed to cure it by changing the location to an IDE device instead of a SATA device in the VM configuration.

10. jebworks

jebworks Member

Just received the same message when trying to upgrade to the reserved Win10 version.

11. jebworks

jebworks Member

This was posted six weeks ago. Any update? Release day is today and WDDM errors seem to be the norm.

12. mastercraft

mastercraft Junior Member

If you look at the Parallels twitter account they're replying with the same answer to everyone who asks about this.
    Our devs are actively working on it and we'll update this article as soon as we have news. http://kb.parallels.com/122884

13. D-an-W

D-an-W Member

Mine updated ok using the method above, now I can't get it to activate (Genuine copy of Windows 8.1)!

14. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Sounds anoying i have to admit , but coming quick with a crap solution makes the case worser than it already is.

15. Billst10

Billst10 Bit poster

I am running the current version of Parallels 10 and got the same compatibility message. I decided to ignore the reservation system and download an iso copy of Windows 10 from the Microsoft web site.After I downloaded Windows 10 and copied it to a DVD, I uninstalled Parallels tools but then my Windows 8.1 would not recognize my DVD. I reinstalled the Parallels tools and then successfully read the DVD and installed the upgrade to Windows 10. I have not checked out all functionality and full compatibility with Parallels 10 but I do have a working Windows 10 under Parallels 10

16. mastercraft

mastercraft Junior Member

I absolutely agree which is why I have not attempted the aforementioned methods. I don't doubt that these methods work but I can wait for a solution from Parallels.

17. JohnW4

JohnW4 Junior Member

Billst...I'm tempted to follow your lead here; just exactly how did you
    initiate the upgrade process to begin the upgrade? Simply double click
    the Win iso image from within the 8.1 VM? I, too, have a legit Win 8.1
    install but NO reservation..so how does one begin the upgrade process?
    I don't want to damage my Win 8.1 install with guesswork here..also appears
    that in your case the Parallels tools made no difference as you re-installed them PRIOR
    to the upgrade process..

18. PaulR2

PaulR2 Bit poster

FIX HERE !!!! vvvvv
    All you need to do is to download the iso from this link (4GB file but I gather this is what you would have got if everything had gone well with the reservation anyway !)
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

You will be asked questions about which language and if you want 64 or 32 bit first.
    Attach the .ISO file using the CD icon on the menu bar of your virtual machine. Windows will ask what you want to do with the new disk - just click the option to run setup.exe and you are back on track. Parallels certainly works with windows 10 (have no fear I have done the upgrade and it works fine - just an automatic re-install of parallels tools is needed on first boot up). It takes a while to run and probably best to let it download the updates as well.
    One last thing - it is good idea to back up your virtual machine first (or snapshot) just to make sure.

19. JohnW4

JohnW4 Junior Member

I'm upgrading as I write this..my iso image was on a Samsung T1 SSD recognized by
    my 8.1 VM...did not remove Parallels tools..no reservation

20. waela

waela Bit poster

suddenly the message for Parallels Display Driver (WDDM) disappeared
    i do nothing