Windows 10 Bootcamp VM can't validate!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by imacken, Jul 29, 2015.

1. imacken

imacken Hunter

OK, so, I had a Windows 7 Bootcamp VM working OK. today, I updated to Windows 10, and my Bootcamp install is validated.
    Now, my Parallels VM boots up OK and Parallels Tools installs OK, but... Windows 10 keeps saying it's not validated!
    If I go to try and validate, it won't allow me to change product key (just hangs) nor does it give me the old option of being able to call Microsoft and validate that way!
    Any help here?

BrianNydish likes this.
  2. ChrisD3

ChrisD3 Bit poster

I'm having the same problem here too.

3. imacken

imacken Hunter

Thanks Maria, but these KBs don't help.
    The problem here is that Windows 10 already sees the key from the validated Bootcamp install and doesn't allow it. So, as I said in the original post, trying to select 'Change Product Key' just hangs the Settings window, and there is no 'phone Microsoft' option anywhere.
    This needs sorting!

4. Ok @imacken could you provide me with any screenshot of the issue please?

5. imacken

imacken Hunter

Sure, here you go!

Attached Files:

• sg.jpg
      sg.jpg
      File size:
      88.7 KB
      Views:
  6. ChrisD3

ChrisD3 Bit poster

Also note that I only see this problem which I boot Windows 10 natively using the Boot Camp partition (problem described above). If I am running Mac OS X and just launch Windows 10 as a VM from the Boot Camp partition, Windows 10 shows it is activated. I'm wondering if this is a Parallels problem not handling the switch between Boot Camp and as a VM since Windows 10 sees a different set of hardware in each situation, thus causing the "un-activation" when booted in a different way (BootCamp versus VM).

7. imacken

imacken Hunter

I'm guessing that the problem will exist in the environment that wasn't used to validate the install, i.e. in my case, I validated the Bootcamp install hence the issue with the VM. I'm guessing you validated the VM install and hence have the problem with Bootcamp.

8. @imacken, actually for your Windows OS the Boot Camp and VM are two different computers, that's why this issue happens.
    Please perform the steps from this article

9. imacken

imacken Hunter

Maria, of course that is the case, i.e. 2 different computers! Been that way all along! The issue in previous versions of Windows was easily resolved by calling Microsoft and doing a phone activation as per your KB links. This option is not available in Windows 10. This is the issue!
    As far as the MS article you linked to is concerned, I am not happy doing this as I am not convinced that it will not mess up my original Bootcamp install.
    Can you please offer a solution that will allow us all to get round the problem that has existed for ever with Parallels and Bootcamp, but has always been resolvable in all Windows versions prior to 10?

10. imacken

imacken Hunter

So, I decided to try the MS article, and, of course it didn't work. Not only that, but it is not relevant to Windows 10 as the registry entry it refers to doesn't exist!
    It did however bring up a box to allow me to enter a product key, and none of the 8 x Windows 7 keys I have worked in the VM!
    So, I went back to the Bootcamp install, and it of course had become unvalidated! Fortunately, it re-validated OK with the already installed key.
    We need a fix for this very soon.

11. ChrisD3

ChrisD3 Bit poster

Correct, I upgraded and installed while booted as a VM. When I boot into BootCamp, it isn't validated.

12. BenG2

BenG2 Junior Member

Im having the same problem. I upgraded the bootcamp copy of Windows 8.1 pro to Windows 10 and it has activated fine. (so not upgrading the VM!)

When I access the bootcamp partition through OSX and Parallels (the VM version) it tells me that Windows 10 is not activated.

I noticed that the product key inside Parallels is different from the product key on the bootcamp partition. Its using a generic product key inside Parallels for some reason ending in 3V66T. I cant change the product key inside parallels to my retail one. There is no option to phone Microsoft.

The Microsoft error code is 0xc004e016 when I try and change the product key to my legitimate retail one.

None of the KB articles have helped!!

13. BenG2

BenG2 Junior Member

Interesting thing to add. Ive noticed that the VM install does not have a message stating that the product isnt activated on the desktop or a build number which I experienced on another machine.

The only way I can tell its not activated is by accessing the System control panel option or the activate option in settings.....

14. GrangerFX

GrangerFX Junior Member

I have the identical problem that everyone else is reporting. Bootcamp is working fine. Parallels 10 is not activated. Tapping Change Product Code freezes the Settings app. Parallels is a fairly big market for Microsoft so please work with them and solve this problem for your customers.

I tapped on the Go to Store button, the top of the page initially said that something went wrong and to try again. I tapped the button and it then said that my Windows is genuine. Settings still says it is not activated though.
    Why does Settings freeze when you tap the "Change product key" button?
    Why does Settings not show a phone number for activation as the Microsoft web site says it should for Windows 10?
    Why does the Microsoft Store say that Windows is genuine but Settings say it is not activated?
    How long do we have to fix this before Windows will refuse to run?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  15. imacken

imacken Hunter

This is becoming very annoying the total lack of appropriate response from Parallels support on this very important matter.
    I created a support ticket and got a response form Parallels support saying that is was nothing to do with them, and to contact Microsoft!!!!

16. imacken

imacken Hunter

Surprise, surprise my VM stopped working and can't create a new one! Started a new thread!

17. BenG2

BenG2 Junior Member

Any response for Parallels support on this????

18. GrangerFX

GrangerFX Junior Member

One possibility is that the Microsoft activation servers are swamped and that this problem may fix itself over the next few days/weeks(/months?) Some activation problems took a couple of days to fix themselves during the public beta. Microsoft may also fix this in a patch. The worst case scenario is that Windows 10 refuses to run under Parallels from a Bootcamp partition because "it's a different computer". If that happens, various things will hit the fan.

19. trebuin

trebuin Member

One computer that I upgraded that has followed 7 to 8 to 8.1 to 10 has stayed activated on both bootcamp and parallels. I installed on bootcamp. Another required a reinstall after the OS corrupted. I installed 8.1 from disk, then upgraded to 10 using bootcamp again, but only bootcamp will remain activated. I used the DVD installed for both computers...only difference is starting from windows 7 vs 8.1 which required me to use a generic key then switch to my official key that came with 8.0 pro upgrade. Sorry I can't add more than that to help for now.