Windows 10 will not run on this PC ... processor does not support NX

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Rossh51, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Rossh51

Rossh51 Member

I am getting this message when I try to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10. The setup process runs ok until the compatibility check. Parallels Desktop is up to date and I have tried this process three times with the same result. Note that I have a VM running separately on this Mac with Windows 10 Preview running fine.
    Any thoughts? Could this be related to issue being reported with the Parallels WDM Display driver?
    Thanks

2. Best Answer
  3. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

Your problem sounds like the same as the other threads on the same topic. Suggest you join in there rather than spawn yet another topic.

4. Best Answer
  5. Rossh51

Rossh51 Member

Solved. For others if you get this go to Advanced System Settings in Windows in the Windows System item in Control Panel and click on Settings in Performance. Ensure DEP (Data Execution Prevention) is enabled for All Programs and Services. In my case it was only enabled for Windows Programs and Services. Changed this and upgrade process works fine. Now running Win 10.

AlexM28 likes this.
  6. AlexM28

AlexM28 Bit poster

Thank you so much for sharing this! My DEP was greyed out so I couldn't turn it on but this Microsoft article did the trick. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...d-i-cant/2663dc18-72de-4729-b9ef-de398a7ca756
    Specifically
    1. Click the Start button

2. From the Start Menu, Click All programs followed by Accessories

3. In the Accessories menu, Right Click on the Command Prompt option

4. From the drop down menu that appears, Click on the 'Run as administrator' option

6. In the Command Prompt window, type the command net user administrator /active:yes and press Enter.

7. Close the elevated command prompt.

8. Log off (in Start Menu) and you will see your new built-in Administrator account next to your current account(s).

9. Click on the icon for Administrator account to log on to it and check if DEP is grayed out or not.

Then run the cmd as an admin and enter
    If DEP is grayed out then try this:

When enabling:

bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOn
    bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx optin

Reboot and it was turned on and I could upgrade to Windows 10.