Windows 10 will not run on this PC .... Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MartinK3, Jul 29, 2015.

1. MartinK3

MartinK3 Bit poster

Has anyone figured out how to overcome this error. I signed up weeks ago and now that Win 10 is released it says that I can't install it.

leestopps likes this.
  2. bjwade62

bjwade62 Bit poster

Same problem here. Any solutions out there?

3. MartinK3

MartinK3 Bit poster

This is the information I received from Parallels support today:
    Hello Martin,
    Thank you for contacting Parallels Support.
    Based on your E-mail, I understand that you are trying to reserve free copy of Windows 10, and getting error "Windows 10 will not run due to Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM)".
    To upgrade your Windows Virtual Machine to Windows 10, please follow the upgrade path given below:
    1. Please use the below link to find out whether your Windows is 32-bit or 64-bit (You will need this info for the Step 3):
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/827218
    2. Open the below link using Internet Explorer browser within the Virtual Machine you want to upgrade (make sure you do this form within Windows, not from Mac):
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO
    3. On the page, scroll down and select the Download Tool for your Windows (make sure to choose the correct version: 32-bit or 64-bit based on results of the Step 1).
    The download will start.
    4. Run the downloaded file and follow the steps to upgrade to Windows 10.
    Please do reply back for further assistance and we will be happy to assist you.
    We appreciate your time and consideration.
    Thanks,
    --
    Karthikeyan
    Customer Support
    || Parallels

4. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

@Martin
    Looking forward to read your results

5. gizmo78

gizmo78 Bit poster

Tried the download and install approach above, after about an hour got this message:

[​IMG]

6. AndrewW3

AndrewW3 Bit poster

I followed the upgrade guide and it says I don't have enough memory. I've a new MacBook Pro with more than enough.

7. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

This all worked a charm on third attempt on my 13inch late 2013 rMBP, running Parallels 10.2.2. I upgrade Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro.

First two attempts failed as I did not have enough disk space (no error message, process just stopped).

For the successful third attempt I increased size of my VM hdd from 64Gb to 86Gb. I also ran a check disk for good measure.

I was surprised to find Windows 10 already activated, as I had read somewhere that I would need the product key of my Win 7, (which was Win 7 Ultimate by Anytime Upgrade from Home Premium). It also said in the FAQ that the commonest cause of product keys not being recognised was if the key was an upgrade key, as upgrade keys not supported yet.

PS how do I change the signature info about my computers?...which is out of date. Can't see any place in my personal details.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  8. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

That looks the same as in post #3 above which works a treat (post #7)

9. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Thanks Maria, installed without any problem!

10. Glad to know!

11. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Everything is working fine, only one question why is PD still calling it W8 ? No disaster in my opinion but remarkable :)

12. @ArthurK1 you mean in Control Center? If yes, Parallels Desktop saved the first name of your VM and didn't change it.
    It happens because you change the OS, not the "body" of VM, like when you purchase HP laptop and upgrade the OS inside it your laptop will still named HP.

But you may change it by yourself using steps below:
    1. Shut your VM down
    2. Right click on your VM -> choose Configuration -> General -> and change VM name

13. ArthurK1

ArthurK1 Member

Done, thanks again! :)

14. Always welcome!:)

15. WilsonH

WilsonH Bit poster

When I click on the Download Tool is says that it cannot work and to reboot the computer. I do this and get the same message. What can I do

16. WilsonH

WilsonH Bit poster

I download the update tool and run it. It gives the following message:

Setup couldn't start properly. Please reboot your PC and try running Windows 10 Setup again.

I reboot and run again. Get the same message.

What can I do?

17. jebworks

jebworks Member

Tried this and here is what I get.

Win 10 Install Error.png

18. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

FWIW, I was able to get the download tool and it let me download the
    64 bit ISO to one of my Win8.1 VMs. I am currently in the process of housecleaning
    my Win8.1 VMs prior to attempting to update.

Once all my cleanup is done (Windows Disk Cleanup takes forever) I will backup my VMs
    and try to install Win10.

However, this has brought up a question.

If I save a copy of the Win8.1 VM, then I update the original VM to Win10 and it
    turns out to be a disaster to get working, will my saved Win8.1 VM still be valid,
    i.e. not get some nastygram from Microsoft as to being invalid, not genuine, or need to
    re-activate?????

19. Sealoozie

Sealoozie Member

Maria: Let me add my gratitude. Clicking on the download tooll and increasing the ram did the trick for me. THANK YOU!!!