Imported virtual machine from Bootcamp installation has corrupted disk size

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by EllwoodN, Jul 30, 2015.

1. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

I had a Windows 8.1 installation in Bootcamp. I had installed Parallels and
    got everything working in either Bootcamp or Parallels VM mode. So, all
    was good.

I determined that I really didn't need to be running in Bootcamp any more.
    So. I decided to import the Bootcamp install into a VM. Never really looked
    at any configuration settings. Recovered my disk space, copied the VM onto
    my drive. Started it up in Parallels and everything worked just great.

Then I decided to clean things up for installing Windows10 and ran into this glitch.
    Inside the VM, Windows (8.1 FYI) was reporting a disk size of 74.5 GB with 31.8 GB
    free. So, I wanted to free up some space on the Mac so I could do some "VM juggling".
    Tried to do a reclaim disk space and got an error saying there was some sort of corruption.
    When I went into configure and selected Hardware->HardDisk 1 it was showing an
    "Expanding disk, 223 GB" !!!! and when selecting the edit button got an error again
    and was showing a minimum disk of 223 GB. The VM size on the Mac was 72.4 GB.

So, started Windows as suggested and did a Repair Disk and it completed with no errors.
    Also, ran chkdsk, which I think is actually the same thing, and it also showed no errors.
    So as far as Windows is concerned, its disk and file system are just fine and dandy.

So, what can I do to resolve this as I can't recover the space nor can I even resize the disk?

2. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

Just some additional info, just realized that there is D: drive and when I go into
    Disk Management, it shows a 223 GB drive with the C: partition with Windows
    as expected but the remainder is an unformatted D: partition taking up the remainder
    of the space. It looks like the the drive that the VM was imported from.

Did the VM import some how include the Mac partition information in the drive map?
    How can this be fixed if this is the case?

3. matbard

matbard Bit poster

I have the same issue, Parallels 11

4. EllwoodN

EllwoodN Hunter

I did end up finding a solution to the problem.

I had to create a second virtual disk and used EaseUS software (the free version) to clone the
    corrupted disk system to the second virtual disk.

Once completed, it took quite a while, I shut down the VM deleted the bad virtual disk and set
    the new clone to be the boot volume.

Ended up with a properly resizable and compressible disk.