event queue is full

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by robertcerny, Apr 14, 2006.

1. robertcerny

robertcerny Bit poster

MacBook Pro, 10.4.6, VM beta 3

When VM is running, working on extensive task (convert bin to iso) I'm unable to start any application in Mac OS X. The console is full of these messages:
    kernel[0]: fs_events: add_event: event queue is full! dropping events.

2. mike3k

mike3k Member

I've seen something similar just a few minutes ago. It kept spawning smbd processes continuously until I get proc table full. I was able to get out of it by quitting PW and doing killall smbd in the terminal.

3. ms @ parallels

ms @ parallels Parallels Team

Thanks, we will check this.

4. ChrisF

ChrisF Bit poster

I'll add a report that I'm still seeing this behavior with OS 10.4.6 on a Macbook Pro 15" with beta 6 of PW, connecting to the Mac from an XP Pro client with PW not even running.
    Smbd processes spawn out of control and require a killall to recover. The problem appears to be alleviated by disabling the virtual ethernet adaptor and the Parallels Host-Guest adapter.
    Also, repeated errors included below appear in the nmbd and smbd logs when the virtual network ports are enabled:
    Code:
    [2006/05/09 22:46:33, 0] /SourceCache/samba/samba-92.15/samba/source/nmbd/nmbd.c:main(687)
      standard input is not a socket, assuming -D option
    [2006/05/09 22:46:33, 0] /SourceCache/samba/samba-92.15/samba/source/lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(724)
      bind failed on port 137 socket_addr = 0.0.0.0.
      Error = Address already in use

Also, I find that network browsing for Windows clients in the host OS is unreliable when the virtual network ports are enabled in the Mac's Network configuration. Often, no servers appear.

5. cec

cec Bit poster

kernel[0]: fs_events: add_event: event queue is full! dropping events.

Hi-

I installed Parallels on my daughter's Macbook, which is not a very fast machine due to only 512MB memory. However, when I got Windows XP installed in a Parallels VM the machine ground nearly to a halt. XP was doing an update, so getting lots of things from the network and installing them, and the machine was pretty much not usable.

I found the error quoted in the title of this post (thousands of them) in my system log file.

I see others have seen this and someone from Parallels said, several months ago, that they were looking into it.

Any insight?

6. cec

cec Bit poster

I ripped out the 512MB memory and put in 2 GB of memory, and this fixed the problem. Two lessons here:

a) Do not trust standard-issue Apple configurations (I didn't even look, but would have questioned how one could imagine MacOS running reasonably well with only 512MB memory. It doesn't)

b) Don't even *try* to run Parallels with only 512MB of memory.