Windows 10 Problem

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by megabyte, Jul 28, 2015.

1. MartinK3

MartinK3 Bit poster

This is what Parallels support sent me. I have not tested it but they responded within 2 hours of my posting the request.
    Hello Martin,
    Thank you for contacting Parallels Support.
    Based on your E-mail, I understand that you are trying to reserve free copy of Windows 10, and getting error "Windows 10 will not run due to Parallels Display Adapter (WDDM)".
    To upgrade your Windows Virtual Machine to Windows 10, please follow the upgrade path given below:
    1. Please use the below link to find out whether your Windows is 32-bit or 64-bit (You will need this info for the Step 3):
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/827218
    2. Open the below link using Internet Explorer browser within the Virtual Machine you want to upgrade (make sure you do this form within Windows, not from Mac):
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO
    3. On the page, scroll down and select the Download Tool for your Windows (make sure to choose the correct version: 32-bit or 64-bit based on results of the Step 1).
    The download will start.
    4. Run the downloaded file and follow the steps to upgrade to Windows 10.
    Please do reply back for further assistance and we will be happy to assist you.
    We appreciate your time and consideration.
    Thanks,
    --
    Karthikeyan
    Customer Support
    || Parallels

StephenR3 likes this.
  2. DaveB2

DaveB2 Bit poster

Seems to be a problem with the WDDM driver not being installed with the Windows 10 update, seems Parallels have known about this since June, think they could have put a new KB up, here's the old one.
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/123053

3. VincentWong

VincentWong Junior Member

I tried the method above but couldn't upgrade from within either WIn 7 or 8.1. I had to download the ISO and then install a new VM with Parallels BUT Windows 10 is incompatible with Parallels 10 in Coherence mode! A new Parallels update for Windows 10 is needed urgently.

FrancesM likes this.
  4. CraigE1

CraigE1 Bit poster

This worked for me after two tries, thanks! Any idea now if we can do a fresh install? Now if only I could get the START menu to match my surface!! :)

5. FrancesM

FrancesM Bit poster

Same issue here and report (No 70596175) created too. So disappointed with parallels right now.

6. Wilford

Wilford Bit poster

I got the same error message....
    Guess this will be solved in Parallels 11.
    But that does not yet exist....

7. StevenD1

StevenD1 Bit poster

After trying all all of the suggested fixes yesterday, JimC2's solution worked (finally) and all is well. Thanks for the tip!!!!

8. Wilford

Wilford Bit poster

I have done this, but windows 10 did not install properly.

9. StevenD1

StevenD1 Bit poster

The only thing I had to do was increase the amount of RAM for the VM.

10. Best Answer
    Guys, and what about this KB? Did you try it?

DerzuO and Louis_Palardy like this.
  11. FabioC2

FabioC2 Bit poster

Hi Maria,

Yes It works but with flaws. For instance, Control Center does not update the logo for win 10. In my case still shows the win 7 logo.

When should with have a transparent and user friendly way to update a VM to win 10?
    Kind regards.

12. VincentWong

Maria, I followed the instructions in that KB and this was what I got, on both my machines running the fully updated Parallels 10

image.jpg

13. VincentWong

Close this Window? I'm attempting to upgrade from within both Win 7.1 and 8.1.

14. CraigE1

CraigE1 Bit poster

As mentioned I got it installed successfully, but for some reason once in Windows 10 and running applications, it causes my entire mac to reboot and crash - has anyone else experienced this?

15. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

16. ThomasL3

ThomasL3 Bit poster

So I have a question. I have Parallels 10 (latest build) and I am trying to download the ISO file from Microsoft. The media file downloads and then I click on "upgrade", but the download never starts. I start at 0% and stay there for over a day before killing it. It downloaded and installed on my stand-alone PC is less than an hour. Has anyone else encountered this? Any ideas?

17. EddieR1

EddieR1 Bit poster

I tried yesterday with the download and created USB bootable. Installed from USB and had the same issue with window not activating. Today I ran the download tool again and then instead selected "upgrade this computer" and the install worked and Windows 10 is now activated. I think if you use the ISO, it doesn't activate it with you existing product key and that why it mentions that you will need your key to activate. But it looks like there is a bug with the ISO/USB install that doesn't allow for activation of Windows after install.

18. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

19. MarlonB

MarlonB Bit poster

So what happens when it doesn't work. Are you able to go back to what you had relatively easily? Im using 8.1 and I am an amateur at best.

I have the icon for windows 10 upgrade and parallels 10.2.2. Should I even attempt this? Or should I wait until things are a little more stable?

20. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<