about the Ram

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by xsk, Aug 2, 2015.

1. xsk

xsk Bit poster

Hi Experts,

I've read this artical: http://kb.parallels.com/en/122705
    and still have question about the ram:

Is there any way to ensure that the Ram of my VM is using the physical ram installed in my Mac?

[​IMG]

in the bottom of the pic, the "VM Memory" segment, there's still a small piece of it cut by "VM RAM usage backed by the Mac hard disk (swapped)". If I understand it correctly, this means, to the VM, the "physical memory" of it is made of the real physical memory of my Mac, plus the hard disk of my Mac, right?

So, my question is, is there any way to make the memory of my VM 100% assigned from the real physical memory of my Mac?

I'm running a Mac with 16G Ram and just want to assign 4G to VM, is it possible?

Thanks!

2. Hi @xsk, yes, you're understand the RAM questions right. (I mean your questions:Is there any way to ensure that the Ram of my VM is using the physical ram installed in my Mac? and If I understand it correctly, this means, to the VM, the "physical memory" of it is made of the real physical memory of my Mac, plus the hard disk of my Mac, right? )
    So, actually your VM doesn't have a real RAM and Hard Drive space, VM takes it from your Mac.
    VM takes from Mac as much memory as VM needs at that moment, I mean if you VM Hard drive uses only 12GB from 64GB (disk space), only 12 GB has been taken from your Mac.
    Also you may give your VM more RAM in VM configurations, but you cannot give your VM 100% of Mac RAM and memory because you need to start not only VM but the Parallels Desktop app and other Mac apps too, that's why you need to split Mac RAM between VM and Mac.

Except for that you may check this article for more information.

3. xsk

xsk Bit poster

Hi Maria, thanks for the reply!

You said: "but you cannot give your VM 100% of Mac RAM and memory because you need to start not only VM but the Parallels Desktop app and other Mac apps too, that's why you need to split Mac RAM between VM and Mac." -- However, in my case, I'm not saying 100% of my total Mac ram. There's 16GB ram installed on my Mac and I want to assign 4GB to VM, that will still be 12GB ram for my OS X, and for the Apps (including Parallel of course) under OS X. Would that be possible, 100% - 4GB - physical ram from Mac working for 4GB ram in VM?

In other words, for how Parallel working currently, my VM seems running under 4GB ram but part of it is hard disk of my Mac, the performance of the ram of my VM will be drag down, isn't it?

Thanks.

4. @xsk, your VM RAM cannot be compressed or swapped to the Mac hard disk, but if your Mac has been overloaded this memory will be swapped.

5. xsk

xsk Bit poster

Hi Maria, I don't want my VM RAM being compressed or swapped, I just want my VM RAM using physical RAM (not hard disk) of the Mac, is it possible?

6. @xsk, yes, your VM uses your physical RAM and don't use the Hard disk space for it.

7. xsk

xsk Bit poster

Hi Maria, you answered Yes for my question: " If I understand it correctly, this means, to the VM, the "physical memory" of it is made of the real physical memory of my Mac, plus the hard disk of my Mac, right?"
    and now saying "VM uses your physical RAM and don't use the Hard disk space for it"

This quite confuse me, is there some basic knowledge that I need to learn to make the concept clear?

Thanks

8. @xsk, sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Let me explain it again please. You VM use the physical memory for VM RAM and your hard disk space for the VM hard disk space.
    It uses separately RAM for Ram and HD for HD.
    Except for that there is only one way to interact between your VM RAM and hard disk space, if your Mac has been overloaded VM RAM memory will be swapped.

9. xsk

xsk Bit poster

ok, I see now. Thanks for the patient reply!

10. @xsk, thanks a lot for your time! Please let us know if you have any additional questions.