Start Menu and Modern Apps stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Bootz-Pgh, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Bootz-Pgh

Bootz-Pgh Junior Member

I did an upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. Everything went fine and was able to access everything. Then, yesterday afternoon, the Start Menu no longer functions. Also, the Modern app thumbnails have disappeared from the desktop task bar. There is a blank placeholder for them, but clicking on them does nothing.

I'm able to get to the Settings menu by right clicking on the desktop, choosing Personalize, then clicking on the back arrow. I thought an update would fix it; however it says my device is up to date. I can't be the only one experiencing this?

Funny thing is, I can get Cortana to work, however it crashes when I tell it to open a Modern app. For example, "Open Store".

Runtime Error!
    C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support tema for more information.

2. Bootz-Pgh

Bootz-Pgh Junior Member

Wanted to add that I was able to create a second local account (no email/Microsoft account attached) which has access to the Start Menu and Modern apps. However, my main account is still corrupted.

3. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

I have had problems with start menu not showing occasionally, and task bar items bunched up. A restart always brings it back.

4. PhilipB1

PhilipB1 Bit poster

Have you tried Refresh in Windows 10? Might help

5. Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham Pro

6. Bootz-Pgh

Bootz-Pgh Junior Member

The problem with this is legacy programs have to be reinstalled. I'm trying to avoid that. I guess I can get by for now - I can still right-click on the Start menu and operate like I'm working on Windows 8.1...