Win 10 Upgrade fails - "Setup has failed to initialize the working directory"

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by 44franktn, Aug 3, 2015.

1. 44franktn

44franktn Junior Member

MBP 13" late 2012 - have been running pre-release version in separate VM with only a few problems. Went to upgrade VM with Win 8.1 32-bit; ran media creation tool - got through first 2 downloads - at 'Preparing 2%' received above message re failure to initialize working directory. Repeated twice with same results. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

2. jebworks

jebworks Member

Have reported the same "working directory" error a few days ago. The KB you reference doesn't address the issue or tell us what causes the error.
    Please reply with relevant solutions instead of KB items. Thanks!

3. JulioU

JulioU Bit poster

4. jebworks

jebworks Member

5. 44franktn

44franktn Junior Member

Maria, thank you, but I was working from the instructions on that kb.
    JulioU, thanks for the link. I tried this and it seems to work so far. I did get an error saying I didn't have enough free disk space on the c: drive. There was 30gb free on my hard drive, guess I needed to set my VM to a permanent size. However, the USB I was using had enough free space for me to continue (10gb). Reached "Upgrading Windows" 2 hours ago -screen now 10% complete. This will be a long haul. I'll report when (and if) if ever finishes. I think webworks is right. Wait for awhile to update.

JulioU likes this.
  6. 44franktn

44franktn Junior Member

A follow-up to my previous post - shortly after I posted the above reply the upgrade process completed rapidly. It moved to the setup stage about 15 min later. Setup was successful - Win 10 now installed and working. Total time - 3hrs. So far no need to reinstall parallels tools. The new web browser - Edge - is a still a little flakey, but office works fine. To summarize, from web2nr in above reddit link: "Copy everything in the "$Windows.~WS." directory onto an empty USB, delete the old directory, then run "setup.exe" from that USB. Worked for me."

JulioU likes this.
  7. JulioU

JulioU Bit poster

Excellent!, I'm glad it worked!

8. DavidT1

DavidT1 Bit poster

I had the same working directory error. What worked for me was freeing up space on the virtual hard disk. I initially only had 2 gigs free. I increased my free space to 16 gigs and rerunning setup worked fine after that. I am guessing you should have at least 10 gigs free.