Finding the right ISO image

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Janiek, Aug 9, 2007.

1. Janiek

Janiek Bit poster

I just purchased the Parallels 3.0 upgrade and downloaded it to my iMac 10.4.10. Now, in attempting to activate it, when I get to the part where I am supposed to insert a CD or use an ISO, I click on the ISO option (since I don't have the CD, having downloaded the upgrade from the Web), but I don't know where to find the image or which image to choose. Any suggestions? Thank you!

JanieK

2. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

It looks like you've confused a prompt to create new Virtual Machine and install guest Windows there with updating Parallels Desktop.
    The downloaded image file should be on your Mac desktop, look for the Parallels Desktop DMG file. Just launch it and start the installation.

3. Janiek

Janiek Bit poster

Thanks for your reply. Actually, I've already installed the 3.0 upgrade, but when I open the new application, a window appears asking me to select a new machine, so I select "New". Then I go through a few more steps until I'm asked to insert the CD or select ISO. Since I don't have a CD, I choose ISO, but then I'm asked to select an image, and that's where I am stuck. Where can this image be found? What is its name? Hope this explanation helps. Thanks again.

Janiek

4. mcowger

mcowger Member

Its asking you to create a virtual machine - it doesn't come with any pre existing ones.

You have successfully installed the software, and now just need to open an existing VM (by double clicking its pvs file, or create a new one.

5. mackworth

mackworth Junior Member

You need a legal Window ISO. You can't download it legally anywhere, you need to make it from a windows CD.

6. Janiek

Janiek Bit poster

Thank you for your reply, mcowger. I think I've solved the problem, and it was due to my own ignorance. I thought I was being asked to insert a CD of the Parallels upgrade, but I was being asked to insert the Windows XP installation CD, which I had already, having purchased it when I got my first edition of Parallels. Duhhhh! Hope this helps others who may have the same problem (of not reading instructions very well).

Janiek