Vista FreeCell, Solitair, Chess ... How?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by hfgarris, Aug 9, 2007.

1. hfgarris

hfgarris Bit poster

Is it possible to enjoy the built-in Vista games like FreeCell, Solitair, SpiderSolitair, or Chess when using Parallels? I am running Vista Ultimate from the Boot Camp partition and the games display a startup message that hardware acceleration is not available and they they play at a most lethargic speed and with very poor graphics. Would it work better if I didn't share the Boot Camp installation and created a separate VM (although I probably would get into licensing problems)? Is there any hope that these Vista version games can be playable with Parallels? (Yes, Windows XP versions play fine, but I like the Vista versions better).
    Thanks,
    Howard

2. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Unfortunately Vista games require DirectX 9.0 support or higher, while the current version of Parallels Desktop supports only DirectX up to 8.1 version. We are working on improving DirectX compatibility with future releases.

3. jmstacey

jmstacey Junior Member

I got solitare to work by disabling DirectX support for the VM. Windows will warn you about missing 3d capabilities or something but it at least loads and appeared playable (I didn't actually try playing a game but it loaded).