Parallels update blows up Windows 10 VM

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by dulinor, Jul 31, 2015.

1. dulinor

dulinor Bit poster

Well, that was fun. Been running 10 Technical preview for a while - generally good, a few minor issues.
    Today Parallels informs me that there's an update, which I install. Immediately updates Parallels tools, then tries to reboot. Reboot fails with:

========
    Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The operating system couldn't be loaded because the digital signature of a file couldn't be verified.

File:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\prl_tg.sys
    Error code: 0xc0000428

You'll need to use recovery took. If you don't have any installation media (like a disc of USB device), contact your PC administrator or PC/Device manufacturer.

Press Enter to try again
    Press F8 for Startup Settings
    ========

F8 doesn't seem to do anything - can roll back to last snapshot but same thing happens again on the tools install.

Anyone else seeing this? Help!

2. dulinor

dulinor Bit poster

SO, to reply to myself - I did find others with what looks like the same problem but nothing in particular on how to resolve it.

I can restore snapshots to get it to boot, and uninstall parallels tools but that makes the VM hardly functional. If re-installed, it fails the same way on reboot. Is there a better solution out there?

Thank god I had a recent snapshot.

3. JoelL1

JoelL1 Bit poster

I have exactly the same issue.

I've also downloaded the Win10 .ISO and attempted to repair windows and then just install windows.

When trying repair, I'm told that the disk or directory is locked.

When doing an install to a new VM, I get an error and am told to insert a disk to install drivers. For this error, on research with the Google machine, I've found various people saying that the .ISO is corrupt and you need to download a new one. I've downloaded 4 times so far (deleting the old ones and emptying the trashcan) but so far, no luck.

I've also uninstalled Parallels, emptied the trashcan, and reinstalled parallels. No change.

Parallels support- it would be much appreciated in this community if you would at least acknowledge the problem and let us know that you are working to find a solution. No one (rational) expects you to resolve an issue with a Windows image that was just released yesterday in just a few hours, but it would be nice to know that we're not just taking crazy pills out here and missing some important install step that would save us a lot of hassle.

I love your product and need it to do my work at home (avoiding riding into the office in 100 degree heat)!!

4. RyanW1

RyanW1 Bit poster

Just want to confirm that I am also seeing the exact same error with Windows 10 technical preview immediately after installing the most recent version of Parallels. It would be great if someone from Parallels would chime-in on this. Thanks.

5. dulinor

dulinor Bit poster

I also opened a ticket with them - the response was "reinstall windows 10" which was not particularly helpful. (I have several apps tied to the hardware ID, as is my windows license.)

For what it's worth, I rolled back to an earlier snapshot, removed Parallels Tools, then imported into VMWare Fusion and installed their tools instead. Working great so far.

6. PhilipB1

PhilipB1 Bit poster

I tried installing the update, and ended up with a freakish hybrid of 8.1 and 10 that could do almost nothing. I did Refresh and went back to my stable 8.1 configuration. I plan to wait a week or two before trying again.

7. JonathanB1

JonathanB1 Bit poster

Exactly the same problem here. Went to open Windows 10 technical preview last Friday (31-Jul-2015), Parallels Tools decides to reinstall and on reboot an error identical to dulinor's. Restored Win 10 Technical Preview from a backup and am refusing all reboot requests.
    Will try upgrading to Windows 10 release this Friday (7-Aug-2015) when I am connected to fast Internet.

8. PeterG1

PeterG1 Bit poster

Getting exactly the same problem as dulinor, absolutely gutted when an update kills the vm.

What are Parallels doing about this!

9. Matt4

Matt4 Bit poster

Posting in to confirm same issue. I'm hoping to get a nice email notification that someone figured out the solution.
    I didn't have a snapshot... Please figure this out Parallels.

10. RobertoC1

RobertoC1 Bit poster

I have the same problem. Parallels hopefully solve it as soon as possible.

11. Merlisk

Merlisk Bit poster

Same issue. :(

12. ByronY

ByronY Bit poster

This is Bad service.... I brought Parallels to run Window OS.... Now I can not work....

13. Guys, please try to reinstall Windows 10 but during the installation untick the "express installation" option.

14. voilaxaxa

voilaxaxa Bit poster

Hi Maria.
    Same problem here.
    This is not a good solution. I don't want to reinstall W10 and loose many settings or apps (and time). I have no snapshoot.
    It appear that parallels tools have a problem so parallels need to find a better solution!!!
    I'm a long time and happy paralles user but if your only solution is to reinstall W10, i prefer to switch to another VM solution (and maybe less expensive as your...)

15. ChadC1

ChadC1 Bit poster

Same problem here. Wish I saw this BEFORE i tried to update Parallel Tools. Now i've updated to Parallels 11 thinking this might help, but no such luck. And unfortunately, I don't have a snapshot of my Windows 10 installation because it looks like it was turned off by default. Hopefully Parallels will come out with a fix for this because it's definitely making me want to switch VM providers.

16. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi, please follow the steps mentioned below to fix the issue
    1. Download CPU throttle application to your Mac.
    2. Move it to somewhere it can be kept for long period of time (like Documents).
    3. Note: following lines should be typed without quotes. Go to the same location in Mac Terminal ('cd ~/Documents').
    4. Type in: 'chmod +x cputhrottle'
    5. Go to 'Activity Monitor' and find the process you want to limit (in Parallels Desktop case - 'prl_vm_app'). Note its PID.
    6. Back in Terminal, type in: 'sudo ./cputhrottle ' (example: 'sudo ./cputhrottle 766 70'). You may also need to enter Mac user's password into Terminal if it asks for it.
    7. Application is now active. It is limiting the CPU consumption of virtual machine process and your CPU should no longer heat up as much.
    8. You can stop running cputhrottle by pressing CTRL+C in Terminal. This will remove the limit on the process.