Get Windows 10 app stuck at "Progress: 0%" in Windows 7 VM on Mac

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Kurt Bigler, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Kurt Bigler

Kurt Bigler Bit poster

context: Trying to upgrade my Windows 7 VM to Windows 10, after the Get Windows 10 icon in task bar failed me (starts and quits immediately, microsoft articles not helpful), I found the Parallels KB article listed under references below, but this approach also failed--details below. The superuser post referenced seemed to address the situation but none of the suggestions helped.

configuration:
    64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium VM with 4GB RAM
    host: black can Mac Pro (3.5 GHz 6-Core with 20GB RAM) running OSX 10.9.5​
    references:

Regarding (1) the app never gets to the final state shown with "Upgrading Windows" and a circular progress indicator on a black background. Rather I still have a blue background showing dancing dots to the left of "Progress: 0%". In Windows Task Manager, MediaCreationTool64.exe (description "Windows 10 Setup") shows CPU Time = 0:00:00. The contents of C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution does not change and stays at Size: 11.8 MB (12,394,498 bytes).

2. Dhruba@Parallels

Dhruba@Parallels

Hi Kurt,
    In order to complete the process please follow the steps below:
    1. Download the .iso image file on the Mac side from this link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
    2. Go to virtual machine configure >> Hardware Tab >> CD/DVD >> Mount the image file by Choosing the image file.
    3. Start the virtual machine >> Open the CD/DVD drive and execute the set-up file.
    Let me know if you have any additional questions.

3. Kurt Bigler

Kurt Bigler Bit poster

Has Microsoft never heard of error messages? Why do they write tools that either do nothing, or hang, or quit if the slightest thing isn't right. I suppose if there were an error message they would probably have gotten it wrong--better not to have any--the user will know something is wrong anyway! But seriously ...

All went ok up to the point where I needed to enter my Product key. Windows 10 Setup does not my product key which is from an OEM System Builder Pack which based on this article

sounds like slightly bad news, the comment in the FAQ being

Not all "system builder" products for Windows 7 are currently available on the site. We are working to add more, but for now, we suggest you contact Support.
    which I suppose means waiting until monday. (In any case I was not terribly conscious re my choice of ISO file except to get 64-bit. Since my Home Premium was english only I chose the single-language option. But I didn't even know what the other choices meant.)

I got rid of my physical PC and moved this Windows 7 to Parallels and was able to use the OEM license. Perhaps the Parallels migration tool took care of it. I can't remember what process I used. Why doesn't the setup simply use the existing license for an upgrade?

The license issue brings up another concern which is that I cloned my Windows 7 VM in order to start this whole process. I basically want a Windows 10 trial, having missed the boat on the beta, thanks to Microsoft closing off the trial in advance without prior notice. So what I don't want to happen is to have my originally Windows 7 VM lose its license because I activate a Windows 10 that I don't really (ever) want to use for anything serious. I never intend to use both VMs at the same time, nor do I need files shared between the two. I suspect the VM clone (normal, not linked) produced two VMs with the same machine identification but I don't know the details of that nor whether Microsoft's identification process changed between 7 and 10. Certainly I seem to be able to run either copy of the Windows 7 VM and to go back and forth, at least in cursory testing. I'd appreciate any info you have about all that.